News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Cardiology Symptoms

Question: Young Women, Chest pains, no answers.

sapphireblue - Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:58 am

Hello I am a 21 year old female that has had anxiety for since I was around 13. I am not the average 21 year old considering I have worked and lived alone since I was 13. IWhat I am concerned about is the chest pain I have been getting for over a year. It sometimes is tightness, sometimes going down my left arm. I also get sort of breath. I work all day on computers and when I get home eat dinner and watch tv so I do not have a very active lifestyle. Whenever I do exercise my chest tightens up and I get short of breath. I was told that was from lack of exercise and smoking. I have smoked a pack a day on and off for about 5 years. I have been to almost every doctor around the place I live and am always told it is anxiety. I have had chest x-rays done, blood counts checked, I also had an echocardiagram done.The only thing they have told me is that I have inflammation of the chest wall and to take Naproxen. What bothers me is that the doctors never take me seriosly and they hardly ever do an EKG. I went in for shortness of breath and chest pain and they sent me home with a paper that said: You are short of breath :roll: They look at my age and gender and dismiss me. What I need to know is does this sound like a heart related problem or sould I just get on some anti-anxiety meds? Thank you.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:26 am

User avatar Dear Sapphireblue,

Females of the child bearing age are naturally protected against coronary disease unless they have had multiple major risk factors for coronary disease for a long period of time.

You don't have any other major risk factors for coronary disease besides smoking and your chest pain has atypical features. So, the probability that this pain be due to coronary disease is very low.

When you have chest pain, i don't think that having an ekg is a bad idea.

i would recommend having an echocardiogram (an ultrasound of the heart) to exclude mitral valve prolapse, a condition that needs to be watched. This condition is notorious for causing atypical chest pain.

Also, neck problems can cause chest pain, so, i recommend that you have a neck x-ray/ct scan to exclude neck spine problems.

The shortness of breath and chest tightness as you describe can actually be bronchial asthma. i would recommend that you have a methacholine challenge test to prove or disprove the presence of asthma.

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here