Question: heart beat changes for no reason

skellig - Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:22 am

i'm a 16 yo female i experience unexplained irregular heartbeats ive had this going on for about a year now.Also about a year ago i had a tonsil and adnoidectomy on the 14th day i awoke pouring blood i didnt have it cauterized about 2- 3 hours later it happened again i didnt have it cauterized. i believe i must have lost quite a bit of blood because i had no colour in lips or nails. i felt very tired i couldnt stand or even sit without everything going black and feeling extremely lightheaded my heart also beat very hard and fast. ive never been to the hospital for it. any way it doesnt matter if im standing atill laying down walking or playing hard on occasion my heart seems to skip a beat or two then start pumping so hard you can actually see my chest move and the beats are spaced about 2 seconds apart then they gradually get closer and closer together still beating very hard then it eases back to my normal 63-66 beats a min. other than this ive no problems. i did have very heavy painful periods to where i couldnt stand but i am taking BC and this has been corrected. i was just wanting to know why my heart is doing this and can it be corrected?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:09 pm

User avatar Hi there -- The bleeding episode, while scary, has passed now, and would have nothing to do with the tricks your heart seems to be playing. While it is likely these are premature ventricular contraction (PVCs) possibly occurring as bigemeny (every other beat is a premature beat, which cuts the effective rate in half while it's happening, though pumping roughly the same amount of blood), it's impossible to know for sure if this is the case, at least at a distance. If it is PVCs there's probably nothing to be concerned about, as they are almost never of any significance, although they can feel scary and uncomfortable. However, since I can't see your heart's activity via an EKG strip, I would recommend, just to be on the safe side, you have both a resting EKG and possibly a 24 hour Holter monitor (records all your heart's activity for 24 hours and is then read and anythng "interesting" shows up correlated with what you were doing at the time, as noted in a log you carry and write notes in). This would clarify fairly well what, if anything, is going on. I suspect nothing but, again, since I can't see the actual activity of your heart, and because there are some other electrical issues that could possibly cause this sort of symptom and are more worrisome, it's best to rule them out right now and get on with enjoying your life. If for some strange reason there were something more serious going on you'd want to know so as to fix it, right? And if not you can essentially forget about the poundings in the chest,as most of us do get these, although it's more common at rest than during exercise.

Hope this helps. Again, most likely you're having the usual premature beats we all get sometimes, but it bothered you enough to ask, and you deserve a comprehensive answer. Please point this out to your parents and have them arrange for you to have the cardiac workup including Holter monitor, then we can all relax. :)

Best of luck to you. Please let us know how this all pans out.

|