Forum Name: Cardiology Diagnostics

Question: Abnormal blood tests, DNA Mutation

Mrs.Mitch - Sat Feb 19, 2005 7:05 pm

Hi I hope you can explain these tests to me. My Neurologist ordered them after examining me and taking my history. There are 3 abnormal readings to tests I do not understand. 1. ANTITHROMBIN III EVALUATION- Antithrombin III (AT3) is abnormal flag code: H, reading is 130*. 2. CARDIOLIPIN IGM AUTOABS(EIA)-abnormal flag code: H reading is 13*. 3. FACTOR II(PROTHROMBIN) GENOTYPR- Factor II Mutation- INTERPRETATION: This patient is heterozygous for the Prothrombin G20210A mutation, i.e., this patient's DNA has the G20210A mutation on one copy of the Factor II gene. The genotype of this paient was determined by Invader. All of my tests were done by Specialty Laboratories in Valencia, Ca. If you review my medical history in my profile you will note that I have had one stroke, one TIA, and take medication for inappropriate sinus tachycardia. I also have numerous other health problems. this is all getting overwhelming for me when I do not understand. Please help me if you can. Thanks Sheri
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Sun Apr 17, 2005 3:43 pm

User avatar Dear Sheri,

Pothrombin g20210a mutation is a mutation in the gene regulating the formation of prothrombin causing the patient to become hypercoagulable (more prone to blood clots).

Cardiolipin antibodies increase mean that you might have a syndrome called antiphospholipid syndrome where there is an increase in clotting as well.

Low Antithrombin iii is of clinical significance is that it causes as well increase tendency to blood clotting.

i think that you better see a hematologist (blood diseases specialist) about these results for a better interpretation and the possibility that you might be started on long term anticoagulation.

Mrs.Mitch - Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:41 pm

Thank you so much for your reply. I have already gone to a Hematologist and am now on warifin. 4mg daily and they are trying to keep my PT/INR numbers between 2.5 and 3.0. Is this reasonable or should they be higher or lower. I do worry about hemrages but do not know what else to do. Can you tell me anything about the home testing kits for the PT/INR test. Are they on the open market and are they reliable. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks So Much Sheri
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Wed Apr 20, 2005 2:14 am

User avatar Dear Sheri,

Thank you very much for the update.

An inr of 2.5-3 is optimal.

As for the home kits for inr, i did not have any patients on them and i am not sure about their accuracy and reproducibility of their results, so i can not really give an opinion.

|