Forum Name: Arrhythmias

Question: Preexcitation syndrome and short PR in six year old boy

bettybaiu - Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:38 pm

I am a single mother from Romania and my son who is six years old has recently been diagnosed with preexcitation syndrome and short PR. He has made two ECG's and the cardiologists that read them told me two different opinios. One says that my son should have a cardiac ablation while the other one says he is healthy and has only an alternating sinus rhythm which, he sustains, does not threaten his life. I am very worried for my little boy, he is my life and I love him so much. He goes to school too and I don't know what to do and I want to kindly ask a doctor to look at his both ECG's and give me a third opinion. I scanned the both ECG's and can send them by email any time. Please help me with this, I am very desperate. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. My email is bettybaiu@gmail.com
 John Kenyon, CNA - Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:29 pm

User avatar Hello -- There are two or three (the third is extremely rare) syndromes which feature these abnormalities. Some doctors feel there is nothing worrisome about any of these, but one of the three, Wolf-Parkinson-White (WPW) syndrome does have the potential, up to an average age of 35-40, to cause, rarely, dangerous tachyarrhythmias. Generally the most dangerous period is between 12-20 years of age, but whether or not this is the specific syndrome your son has can only be determined by looking at the EKG, which, in the case of WPW, has a very distinctive clue visible. These, I feel, should be corrected as soon in life as practical, by means of radio frequency ablation. I've heard a time or two too often of a doctor having said "It's nothing to worry about" when it turned out it was. I see you've included an email address and have scanned the EKGs, so I will contact you via that route and you can send me the scanned EKGs. It should be easy to recognize if your son has the potentially dangerous form or not. This should help clear the air, because if he doesn't then you really don't need to worry, and if he does, it can be resolved permanently by means of a very simple RF ablation. I will be in contact. Meanwhile, because of his relative youth, your son is at statistically lower risk for now, so don't be overly worried. We'll see which of the types of bypass tract he has and I'll advise from there. In the meantime, please follow up with us here if needed.

|