Question: Palipitations and Pins And Needles in legs and arms

unicorn23 - Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:28 pm

I'm very worried about my husband, throughout the day he experiences pins and needle sensations in his arms and legs and heart palipitations he has had this for the past 2 months. I put my head to his chest and heard 8 beats then a frighteningly long pause then a heart beat even louder like two massive heart beats together then repeat with another 8 beats. His Dr. was on vacation when he went about 6 weeks ago. He said the temp Dr. he saw didn't listen to him and sent him for a MRI for a MS test which came back fine. A $1000 MRI bill later he decided to wait to see if it would go away. It hasn't he has an appt. to go back in a couple of weeks however after actually hearing his heart beat I can't sleep with worry. Anyone have any ideas? He is 33 and 5'9 200 lbs. Thanks Christie
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:39 pm

User avatar Hello,Since your husband has been seen and investigated and found normal, it is likely that he has panic attacks relating to a hyperventilation syndrome.This can present with overbreathing,chestpains,palpitations,irregular heart beats and pins and needles.This is due to too much oxygen and less carbon dioxide due to excess breathing.HVS has to be thought of only if cardovacular and respiratory sytems are found normal.If so mild antianxiety medications,and a clinical psychologist refferal may be needed.Best wishes.
 beardog500 - Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:29 am

I was in Arizona in June 2009 - while there I experienced shortness of breath and cough until lightheaded, thought it was from altitude. Then in July I experienced chest pain, shortness of breath, heaviness in chest, painful to touch around collarbone area, cough until lightheaded headache -in Ohio -no altitude involved. went to urgent care and was diagnosed with reflux, medicine did nothing. went to my regular dr and was given chest x-ray, pulmonary ultrasound of legs - both normal. then given D-Dimer which came back positive although no clot was ever located. Then had heart echo and CAT of lungs - again both normal. put on various asthma medications with no relief. lung function test scored 78,62 and 45 but listed as inconclusive since I didn't have enough air to sufficiently exhale for this test. bloodwork has come back normal except elevated RDW of 14.9 recently. bad reaction to albuteral after lung function test - coldness, severe trembling and feeling of chest collapsing when coughing and laying down. now have symptoms with the addition of stiff neck for 1-1/2 weeks, headache, chest heaviness, chest pain, nausea, coughing until lightheaded and sick, unable to lay flat or on left side, conjestion when laying down and in evenings. good in AM until around 1;00 then gradually worse all night. had 1 cocsis test for valley fever which came back normal, but timeframe works and most of the symptoms fit as well. It's been 4 months and I'm worn out - any ideas?

|