Forum Name: Hypertension

Question: PIH, still having high bp 13 weeks pp, dr says no problems

corvallis - Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:02 am

From 34 weeks till my induction and delivery at 38 weeks due to mild pre e, my bp ranged from 140-160 over 90-110. Now at 13 weeks pp it has seemed to settle to 150/90. Im still seeing the same floaters as when I was hospitalised, as well as the pressure headaches and numbness of the left side of the face. I have been to the Dr's 3 times for foamy urine thinking it was a uti. Tests came back neg for nitrates but positive for wbc and protein. My left calf above the ankle is still puffy but my Dr doesn't seem concerned. In fact she doesn't seem worried at all. Is it ok for my bp to stay at 150/90? I feel not too bad getting some hot back pain, but don't want to do myself any damage. My Dr says I must have a uti (which is causing the wbc and protein) but that it must be a rare type of bacteria (which is why tests are always coming back neg). I just don't know what to do. If 150/90 is just going to be my normal bp reading and the number is fine then I'll just move on :) Thanks.
26 yr female, healthy weight and lifestyle.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:56 am

User avatar Hi corvallis,
Generally speaking when a urinalysis is done to evaluate for a urinary tract infection an additional test, culture and sensitivity is also sometimes performed. Additional diagnostic tests that may be considered for the evaluation of protein in the urine is a 24 hour urine. If you were diagnosed with a UTI were you prescribed an antibiotic? If your blood pressure remains elevated I would suggest you about a referral to a cardiologist. Best wishes!

|