News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Cardiology Diagnostics

Question: Positive Stress Test

Heywood - Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:47 pm

I'm a 47 year old male, fairly active, non smoker, non drinker. In the last few months I have become increasingly more fatigued after normal activities and noticed left arm and chest pain. My arm would feel tight around my elbow and forearm and my hand would tingle. The pain in my chest would be a sharp stabbing pain. On a scale of 1 -10 I would say it was a 6. My blood pressure was also shooting up, despite my meds. (186/123 one night) I went to my doc with a sharp pain in my right back, around where my gall bladder used to be, this pain went away after a few days. My doc ordered a cat scan and a consult with a cardiologist. The cat scan reviled a possible perricadial effusion and a pluarl effision in my right lung. I then had a positive stress test and was scheduled for a heart cath. I had the heart cath which was fine. My arteries were fine with no blockage noted.
Back in 2005 I had the same thing happen, but with no arm or chest pain. My blood pressure was higher than normal, I would get out of breath very easily and I was extemely fatigued. I had the same test performed, negative stress test but one of the scans showed a possible blockage of one of my renial arteries. I had a anigram performed which was negative. Over a few weeks I started to feel better and my blood pressure came back down.
I have an extensive family history of heart failure and a older sister who has lupus.

This doesnt seem to be heart related, but I know that something is wrong with me. I don't know which way to turn.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:47 pm

User avatar While coronary artery disease does seem to have been ruled out the symptoms do sound like some sort of heart-related problem, perhaps only something like spiking blood pressure due to the renal problem. I'm not certain from your post if you had an angiogram of the heart only, heart and kidneys or heart and kidneys, but if either heart of kidneys was left out of the combination it would need to be followed up. I suspect this may be a renal-mediated problem affecting the heart indirectly, but it's only a guess. A cardiolgist and urologist need to work in concert to ultimately figure this out. A good primary care "quarterback" physician should manage the consults and coordinate the detective work and any followup care.

I don't think you have an immediate risk looming over you, but I do suspect something is not right somewhere, and instinct -- not science -- suggest to me this may be a renal problem.

Good luck to you. Please follow up with us as needed.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here