Question: Chest pain that feels like bubbles popping

tuckersmommas - Sun Feb 20, 2005 9:27 pm

For the past few years I occassionally get sharp pains in my chest, more like in my right lung area. It feels like bubbles and when they pop, I get these very sharp pains. They are extremely painful and cause me to catch my breath. I also get occassional chest tightness/pressure that feels like a brick sitting on my chest. Sometimes, I get this pressure after an "attack" of these bubbles, but not always.

I was diagnosed with hypothyroid in 2001. My thyroid is currently off because I'm 13 weeks pregnant (TSH was 8.9 when I had my bloodwork done last week). I also have a history of anemia and was given 4 treatments of Venofer this past summer. My ferretin and hematocrit were also normal in my recent bloodwork.

I've asked a previous PCP about them and they shrugged them off, didn't know, weren't concerned. I've also searched all over the net to find something, anything, and I've come up dry. I found this site on a google search, so I thought I'd give it a shot. I hope someone can help!

~ Heather
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Fri Mar 04, 2005 5:38 am

User avatar Dear Heather,

Females of the child bearing age are naturally protected against coronary disease unless they have had major risk factors for coronary disease for a long period of time. You don't have any major risk factor for coronary disease and the characteristics of the pain that you are describing are atypical as compared to those of chest pain related to coronary disease. So, the probability of this pain being due to coronary disease is very low.

Sometimes, when a person takes a fast breath or a deep breath, the lung might get overdistended fast and this pain comes on. i don't think that there is anything popping in your lung, otherwise you would have been very ill.

This pain could also be due to gastric problems such as acid reflux disease. Have you ever tried anti-acid medications?

Even though it does not sound like it, but there is a heart condition called mitral valve prolapse that can cause atypical chest pain. This condition is very common and does not pose any danger but has to be followed. It is diagnosed by having an ultrasound of the heart (echocardiogram).

Neck problems are also know to cause chest pain, i recommend that you have a neck x-ray to exclude neck problems in the light that you had a previous accident and had multiple treatments for it.

Sometimes, gall bladder can give such sensation as well. So, if you have this sensation especially after you eat fatty foods, i recommend that you discuss having a gall bladder ultrasound with your doctor.

|