Forum Name: Hypertension

Question: 39 year old female with 4 leaky valves

brendak2u - Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:11 am

I am a little confused over my echo results. I was told that all 4 valves are leaky and that the right side is slighly enlarged. I was told that it is uncommon for someone my age and that maybe the smoking caused the enlargment. The treatment plan is to monitor it in the future. Was wondering if I could get some help with my echo results and any advice for treatment.

2D Study
Sclerotic aortic valve with no restriction
Normal mitral valve
Normal aortic root
Normal left atruim
Normal left ventricular systolic function
Left ventricular ejection fraction 60-65% by visualization; 64% by Simpson's
No intracardiac thrombi or pericardial effusion demonstrated
Dilated right-sided cardiac chamber dimensions

DOPPLER STUDY
Mild mitral regurgitation
Mild aortic regurgiation with a pressure half time of 661 msec
Mild tricuspid and pulmonic regurgitation with mild pulmonary hypertension with and right ventricular systolic pressure of 31 mmHg
Normal mitral valve inflow pattern
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:52 pm

User avatar Hello -- While some of this could have been caused or at least aggravated by smoking (and is a really good reason to start working on smoking cessation, something I don't usually stress too much to people who don't have any chronic or potentially serious disease because they already know and don't want to hear it again) I suspect there may be something else going on here as well. Again, smoking can only make this worse, the real challenge is to figure out what "this" is. It would seem either you have a congenital multiple valve problem, mostly mild, which is going to be exacerbated by smoking, but may also not be genetic and may have been caused by some other factor. What often is in the background when this sort of thing is seen is use of the once-popular weight-loss medication combo called Phen-fen. This has been known to cause both multiple valve problems and pulmonary hypertension which can vary from very mild to progressive and quite serious. It is otherwise pretty unusual. I would, therefore, be certain to have this followed, and hopefully it is just a genetic oddity and not progressive. If Phen-fen is anywhere in your background please let us know, however, as that is a whole different ballgame. If it is not, this is probably either genetic or a very rare disease process and just follow it, but by all means, and I don't usually say this, but I'm saying it now with good reason: Stop smoking. That and regular followup should keep you in good shape. So far so good. Let's keep it that way. This may wind up being a big nothing, but it is just unusual enough to warrant some healthy concern without undue anxiety.

I hope this is helpful. Good luck to you and please do keep us update here.

|