News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Cardiology Symptoms

Question: Teenager with chest pains

mvilo - Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:27 am

My son is 14 and has been having chest pains frequently. The pain is right in the heart area and he has to take small breaths while the pain is occurring. If he breathes deeply, the pain get worse. It started about 2 weeks ago and happened once a day, now it is hurting about 3 to 4 times a day. We have a doctors appt today, but would llike to have another opinion. thanks..
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Fri Mar 04, 2005 5:46 am

User avatar Dear mvilo,

i hope that your son is feeling better now. The pain that you are describing on behalf of your son sounds more like an inflammation of the membranes surrounding the lungs or the heart.

There is a heart condition called mitral valve prolapse, notorious for causing atypical chest pain in young otherwise healthy people, it is diagnosed by having an ultrasound of the heart (echocardiogram) and just needs to be followed.

Acid reflux disease can give rise to your son's symptoms as well.

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.
 mvilo - Sun Mar 06, 2005 10:10 am

Our family doctor thinks it is a nerve in his back by his lungs that is relaying a pain to the front of his chest. He felt a knot in a nerve on his back. Does that sound right??He is sending him for x-rays of chest and lung to be sure.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Sun Mar 06, 2005 3:07 pm

User avatar Dear mvilo,

Thank you very much for the update.

Neck and back problems can cause chest pain but usually thought of in patients older than your son, unless your son plays extreme sports such as football, wrestling or weight lifting.

Did the doctor prescribe any treatment for your son?

i did not examine your son, so, i can not say whether or not your doctor is right.

i recommend that you follow the instructions of your son's doctor.

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here