Forum Name: Miscellaneous Cardiology Topics

Question: High blood pressure in your 30's

anthony0424 - Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:01 pm

I went to my Doctor yesterday to get a prescription of Allegra, well, when they took my blood pressure, it was 143/94. They took it again and it was the same. Now, I don't drink or smoke. I do drink coffee and I did have a cub of coffee before I saw my doctor. He said the coffee would have raised my heart rate, it was 96 beats a minute. I am really freaked about this because I am 34 years old, in good shape, I run about 15 to 20 miles a week. I eat pretty well. THough, I am under a huge amount of stress at the home front. Currently I am having to take care of my children and my wife. I am trying to switch professions. I am a police officer currently (yes, stressful) Can Stress elevate your BP that high. I don't know if I have a family history. I have not spoken to my Father in almost ten years. My mother does not have a heart condition. I was looking at the Body Mass Index, according to that, it had me as over weight. Last time I checked my actual body fat (we do semi-anual stress test with the police department) I came in at 11%, isn't that pretty good? I am 5'9" 170 lbs. How can I have high blood pressure.

Freaked out in Texas...
 drjvvr - Tue Mar 08, 2005 7:39 am

Dear Anthony,

143/94 mm Hg is not a perfectly normal blood pressure reading, I agree. At the same time, I think you are excited much more than you are supposed to be! I have seen many patients whose baseline BP itself is 140/90 mm Hg. Just don't worry too much. Your doctor was right when he said coffee could have increased your heart rate. 96 per minute is also not a very high rate. It can occur to anybody who has just finished running a 100 metres dash or one who has just faced a terrorizing situation. Coffee can momentarily increase BP also.

If you were my patient, I would advise you just to check your BP a few days later when you would be in a cool mood. If it is 130/90 mm Hg or below (upto 110/70 mm Hg), you can feel reassured. If it is otherwise, check BP twice daily at specific timings for a week. If the value still persists, you can go for an Electrocardiogram and to further investigations if it is abnormal in any way. I suggest these measures for screening only and I don't mean to say that you are not normal now. My impression is that there is a fair chance of you having no abnormality and the BP would have been a momentary one, due to stress. Even if all values are normal, keep checking your BP now and then - at least once in 6 months, so that we can detect hypertension when it first manifests itself.

Take care! My colleagues here can add whatever they want to suggest you. What I have given you is just a gist!

Yours Always Musically,

|