Forum Name: Hypertension

Question: 16 years old, Blood pressure 147/89 and higher readings

boxerboy412 - Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:08 pm

I'm 16 years old. I'm very athletic, i box, do physical fitness, cross country, and track. I went to the doctor's office Monday October 12, 2009. The doctor checked my blood pressure and it read 147/85. I was shocked and very fearful. My doctor was confused I'm a pretty healthy guy so she said maybe its just a bad day. I checked it again once i got home that night and it read 153/91. That night i couldn't sleep, i had a huge head ache. I went to school and played a little volley ball, but had to stop because my chest was pounding. I got home that day to check that it was 153/89. I took a nap hoping things will get better. My foster father gave me a tea made of ginger, nutmeg, natural cinnamon, lemon, and natural bee honey. I ate very small and took my blood pressure again and it read 143/85. I started to worry. This morning i wake up, I make 2 boiled eggs no salt, bread without butter and a garlic clove. I drank some more of the tea and took my blood pressure once again. It read this morning 150/90. I came home and it read 147/90. My aunt tells me it maybe be stress. My foster parents say it could be hormones. I know i have a family history of Hypertension but I never guessed i could get it. Is there something you recommend? Do you know what it can be? Will it go down? Can i play any sports?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:32 am

User avatar Assuming no recreational drugs, no high potency energy drinks, and having eliminated both caffeine and salt, you very likely have either essential hypertension (fairly unlikely at your age but not impossible) or pheochromocytoma, a relatively rare but very well-known adrenal tumor (usually benign and not always located on the adrenals but sometimes occurring in random parts of the viscera) that secretes its own adrenaline in concert with the native adrenal glands. This is often the missing puzzle piece in young, otherwise healthy, physically fit people with high blood pressure. It should be emphasized that while you do appear to have some form of hypertension, and this is not a desireble thing, your numbers are not horribly high yet, and this may not have been going on for too terribly long. For those reasons I suspect the symptoms you've been feeling may be more anxiety-related than a product of the elevated BP, and if this is so it will only keep the BP elevated or help it to increase.

Try to relax. It's not as bad as it could be. It does definitely need to be sorted out and treated, of course, but it's not in crisis mode quite yet. If you do feel pains or other odd symptoms (and some people do, headaches in particular) then take it easy at those times. See an MD ASAP, and one thing you'll need is a 24 hour urine test, which often will reveal excess adrenaline in the urine and point toward pheochromocytoma, which seems the most likely culprit, although it is sometimes difficult to diagnose right off. Keep at it, and meanwhile you may need to rely on medication to get the BP down to a tolerable level. That's actually the first oder of business, then getting to the bottom of this. Hopefully it won't be too difficult to figure out.

Good luck to you, and please do follow up with us here as needed. Keep us updated as to any changes, also.
 hypercell - Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:52 am

May I know how come my BP reading constantly high.

1st reading = 159/107 , second reading = 143/99 and Recently is 154/94.

I am 455 kg, and 152 cm.

I am eating healthy and exercise well. How can I get a high BP ?

Is it normal to have a high BP in my age?

2 years ago, I also have the high BP.

|