Question: Chest and back pain

caramelmonie - Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:03 pm

I have chest pain and it comes and goes and it goes to my back and I feel an tingling sensation in my arm almost everyday and I often get short of breath.I do drink occasionally and i smoke when I drink please if you have any insight about my problem please feel free to post your comment? Do you have any idea?
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Sun Feb 27, 2005 4:36 pm

User avatar Dear Caramelmonie,

Females of the child bearing age are naturally protected against coronary disease.

You don't have any major risk factors for coronary disease and your chest pain sounds atypical as compared to that of coronary disease, so, most probably you don't have coronary diserase.

The pain that you are describing could be related to neck spine problems. i would recommend for you to have a neck x-ray/ct scan of the neck to exclude neck problems.

Chest pain can also be caused by conditions such as mitral valve prolapse (need to have an echocardiogram which is an ultrasound of the heart to detect this condition) and acid reflux disease.

If you are willing to try over the counter medications for acid reflux and see if it makes a difference, discuss it with your doctor and see what he/she thinks.

|