Question: Lasting upset stomach, temporary chest pain 16 y/o maleHelp

NeedHelpscared - Fri Feb 25, 2005 6:12 pm

Hi. I Since this past Sunday, I have had an upset stomach. First it started as an upset stomach that wasn’t very bad, then got annoying enough to keep me on the sofa. After I went to a friends and went to go get some cola syrup, I noticed a magnet displaying warning signs for a heart attack. They had stomach pain or naseua, chest discomfort, pain in the back, arm or neck, and some other symptoms. After this I became very nervous and my heart started beating rapidly, probably because of the panicking. I am 16 years old, and don’t think I could have a heart attack, but I’m not sure. The pain in my stomach is a feeling of constipation, andI feel like my stomach is tight. I don’t want to let it loose, kind of sucking in. When I stand up, the pain is worse, but when I sit down, it is better. I have some chest discomfort, or maybe I’m making it up in my head. It isn’t sharp but feels like I need to burp but can’t, or a slight throbbing small sharp pain. Mostly it is just like pressure. . Please tell me I m going to have a heart attack!!!

Could I wait two days to go to the doctor? It’s the weekend. Can I do some sort of physical activity? I was wanting to play paintball. Ever since I read the symptoms, I’ve been very stressed out, reading and reading on the internet about symptoms, missing schoolwork etc. Please help me. I don’t think this stress is very good for me.

btw I have some slight sensations in my right arm sometimes, maybe I'm making symptoms up in my head because im nervous. Don't know.

the stomach pain has been about five days now, all of the sudden

the stomach pain has been about five days now, all of the sudden.
The chest pain sometimes feels like an anxiousness...a pressure...don't know how to describe it, and I'm not sure if I had seen the magnet I would have thought it weird.

The stomach pain feels like I'm hungry, or need to go to the bathroom, and sometimes goes away for a short while. It'll come back daily. If I eat, it rarely helps. When I use the bathroom it feels as if I can't get everything out.

Sometimes I can feel the heartbeat in my chest, but it's mainly while I'm reading symptoms online or thinking about this.

I have a slight annoyance in my right tricep ( or around there) and was wondering if this is another sign?

None of my family hadn't had heart problems (that I know of).

My brother and mom have asthma, I do not.
Please help me. Do you think waiting a little would cause it to go away? What else could it be?

also how is an EKG done? What does the paitent have to do? Undress? Does it cause pain? Is it expensive? Will Medicaid cover it?

This whole situation is STRESSING me out so much.

I think the problem may be my stomach. It isn't a naseau feeling, but a feeling of emptyness, or something like that. When my stomach doesn't hurt, my chest usually doesn't. Sometimes my throat feels like there is something in it. I think I may be over reacting. I found out that my father had an ECG recently but nothing was abnormal. Maybe this pain runs in the family? I really would not like to be diagnosed with anything, because this would upset me. If I did go in to get tests, it would be next week. I want to enjoy all the time I have without knowing certainly I have a disfunction or disease, etc.

Ok. Basically I wanted to clarify that my throat is now acting up. It feels like there is something in it, a sort of aching feeling. Also, I'm having some slight pains at various spots on my body, that happen for just a second then vanish. I do think that if I had not seen that refrigerator magnet, that I wouldn't feel any chest discomfort. It comes up whenever I think about it. Maybe it is something with my stomach?

I took gas-x a few minutes ago, we'll see what happens.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:45 pm

User avatar Dear NeedHelpscared,

i think that the pain you are suffering from is due to your stomach not the heart.

You don't have any major risk factors for coronary disease and your chest pain is atypical, so the probability that this pain might be due to coronary disease is very low. However, nothing can be ruled out over the internet and you are always advised to consult with your physician on such dangerous issues.

That said, your symptoms sound like acid reflux disease, please, try an over the counter antiacid and see if it helps.

An EKG is not painful to do, you have to uncover your chest to do it. Leads are placed on the chest, arms and legs. i am not sure how much it costs and i am not sure whether or not it is covered by medicaid.

Chest pain in young persons can be caused by a heart condition called mitral valve prolapse which has to be watched and is diagnosed by having an ultrasound of the heart (echocardiogram).

|