Forum Name: Miscellaneous Cardiology Topics

Question: How long does a CABG last in female age 20?

unknownally - Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:52 am

My fiance had CABG surgery. They were unable to use a vein and instead used an artificial artery made from a type of material.

She is very scared. I really want to cheer her up.

She is 20 years old and had her artery near her right pelvis bypassed. The graft was maybe half an inch in length.

She doesn't smoke but use to eat a lot of fast food.
Does she have a good chance to live with me until we all age?

If a second surgery might be necessary, will it be a higher risk?

Thank you.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:57 pm

User avatar Hello -- While bypassing the artery where you descibe it (possibly the iliac artery or maybe one branch of the aorta just below where it divided into the two femoral arteries) is extremely unusual in a female aged 20 years, these arteries are generally quite large in bore, so the bypass might well last a very long time. If, in fact, this was not a true bypass but a repair of an aneurysm (an easy misunderstanding and something much more likely in a person of your fiancee's age) then the graft should last a lifetime and not produce any further problems. If,in fact, this was a bypass graft for sure, and the artery had become occluded by age 20, it is odd to find the blockage in that area first, but if this is the case then there may well be further blockages developing in the future. The risk for subsequent bypass in the great arteries (which is what this must have been) is fairly low, although the ultimate success of the procedure would be less likely with each repetition of the surgery.

I can't help but wonder if this wasn't in fact the removal of a diseased segment of a greater artery (probably due to aneurysm) than an actual bypass, since by age 20 it is almost unheard of to have developed that degree of intimal disease in such a large artery, let alone the smaller ones supplying the heart. This is why I am wondering if perhaps this was the actual reason for the surgery. Also, a graft only 1/2 inch long is difficult to imagine, while one 1/2 inch in diamter could reasonably be one of the greater arteries, iliac or perhaps even renal. Perhaps you could find out and let us know? Again, if this was the case (as opposed to bypass) the artificial graft should remain patent a good long time and pose no particular future problems.

I hope this is helpful. Good luck to you.
 unknownally - Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:22 pm

Thank you so much for your help.

This is my mistake. It is not a CABG. I miss understood.

She was shot witha .45acp bullet which blown a piece of her artery off.
The graft was installed near her right pelvis, by the abdomen.

It was an artificial artery, bypass graft.

Sorry for the bad info.

So what to expect of this?

|