Forum Name: Valvular Heart Diseases

Question: Moderate Tricuspid Regurgitation

leslie_f - Sat Feb 26, 2005 8:58 am

In 2001 an echo showed mild TR with borderline pulmonary hypertension. Since I had more issues with the Mitral valve, this was not considered significant apparently since no one related this finding to me at the time. I had AFib that was completely controlled by Amiodarone until Dec. I had a stress echo a week ago and the TR is noted to be moderate. I was told that I didn't need any additional treatment for the TR and it was only when I asked for a comparison with the previous echo did the results of 2001 get explained to me.

Is there possibly a connection between the change in TR and the return of the AFib? And should I be concerned about being told that I don't need any additional treatment for my now moderate TR? I am concerned about the long term issues associated with moderate TR and the fact that I've had a significant change in status of my TR in the last 4 years.

Thanks in advance.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Sun Feb 27, 2005 5:50 pm

User avatar Dear Leslie,

i don' think you need additional treatment for the tricuspid regurgitation. Worsening tricuspid regurgitation can be related to:
1. Worsening pulmonary hypertension in your case.
2. Right sided heart failure or dilatation for any reason.

You don't have to worry about tricuspid regurge, most of the tricuspid regurge cases are secondary to other causes, so the treatment is treatment of the original disease process.

|