Question: Upper right side chest pain

COOLER - Sat Feb 26, 2005 8:41 pm

For the past ten days I've been expierencing a single semi sharp pain in my upper right chest just below my armpit and behind my shoulder blade. This pain appears anywhere from every two and a half minutes to ten or fifteen minutes. It will occur whether I'm moving or at rest. I am not disturbed from sleep due to this pain and have noticed it takes almost ten minutes to show itself when get out of bed in the morning. I monitor my blood pressure everyday and it still averages 120/80 with a average pulse of 80.
My Cardiologist has been treating me since 1995 for high colesterol, gout and hypertension with great success. I have an appointment to see my Cardiologist on 3/3/05.
However, if I was experiecing this pain on my left side I would of gone to the Emergency Room on the first day.
Before the pain arose I began to exercise with ten pound dumbells working up to 60 curls a day in a matter of two to three weeks. In addition I was doing leg lifts from a prone position working up to 50 a day in the same period of time. Once the pain appeared ten days ago I ceased all exersise, however the pain has not change its profile. I'm in good shape and walk a great deal but I need to lose 15 pounds which will bring me to 197 with a height of six feet. I take a Stress Test every five years and the last one in 2004 was exceeding better that the previous one which was considered very good.
From 1995 to 2000 I saw my Cardiologist every four months for a check up and monitoring. Since 200 I see him every six months due to my excellent response to his treatments.
I appreciate and look forward to your opinion on this matter
Thank you for your attension.
John

:?:
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sun Feb 27, 2005 5:20 am

User avatar Hi COOLER,
Do to the location of the pain and the close evaluation I do not feel that it's cardiac in origin. However, have you had any nausea that accompanies the pain? Do you notice more discomfort if you eat certain foods? Due to the location of the pain, chest, shoulder blade etc. and if you have the aforementioned symptoms I would be inclined to consider gallbladder disease/dysfunction. If those symptoms are not present it may be muscular in nature.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:19 am

User avatar Dear Cooler,

You have major risk factors for coronary disease, but it sounds that they have been under good control.

Your chest pain is atypical as compared to that of coronary disease.

i would say that it is quite a remote possibility that the pain that you are having would be due to coronary disease.

i don't think that you need to be evaluated on an emergency basis but when make sure to mention this pain to your cardiologist when you see him on the 3rd of march.

If at any time, the pain becomes more severe, or continuous or you start experiencing other symptoms with the pain such as sweating or nausea, please report to the emergency department immediately without delay.

COOLER - Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:59 am

Hello and thank you for your prompt reply's.
I do not expierence nausea or sweating nor do I notice this pain when I eat different foods. I am always light headed due to the medication but the pain did not increase my condition.
As a matter of fact, since 11pm last night the pain has stopped for the firs time in ten days. I was using a stop watch to time the pain and before I went to sleep last night the intervals went from 3 minutes to fifteen in a matter of an hour.
I will have a blood test on 2/28/05 and will see my Cardiologist on 3/3/05 for a complete check up and will notify you of the results.
At the moment, I think the possibility of muscle spasms and or pain might have been the cause.
Thank you for your attention.

|