Forum Name: Cardiology Diagnostics

Question: Irregular EKG

mactutor - Sat Feb 26, 2005 9:18 pm

I have an irregulate EKG that the Doctors think I'm having a heart attack but all the test come up negitive. 3 times in the last 10 years I've had chest pains and I'm admitted to the hospital because of my EKG. My question is what do I do if i get pains in my chest, when i do i usually don't do anything because of my EKG. But last week I had different pains and had been under a great deal of stress and my blood pressure has be very high, so instead of going to the ER went to my Dr. and I was sent to the hospital by Ambulance. Once again all my test came back fine. i don't know what to do in the future I feel like if I every have chest pain don't do anything but what if that was the one time it was a heart attack.
What should I do?
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Sun Apr 17, 2005 4:18 pm

User avatar Dear Mactutor,

Have you ever been told what is wrong about your ekg so that it gets confused with an acute myocardial infarction?

You have 2 major risk factors for coronary disease. i am not sure about the characteristics of your chest pain. Have you ever had a stress test?

My recommendation is that every time you have chest pain, you have to be evaluated by a health care professional. i also recommend that you have a stress test to rule out coronary disease as a possible cause for chest pain if you had not had one.

Mitral valve prolapse can cause atypical chest pains and if it turns out that it is the cause of the chest pain, there are medications of the beta blockers group that you can use (and they ca take care of the high blood pressure as well.

|