News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Hypertension

Question: Zocor for elevated cholesterol

JeanneOK - Mon Jun 16, 2003 2:24 pm

I am questioning my physicians decision to start me on Zocor 10 mg. daily for
an elevated total cholesterol level of 194. I am a 43 year old female with no general health problems other than migraines. My father has a history of high cholesterol. My mother has recently been diagnosed with Arteriolosclerosis at the age of 66 (with vasular dementia).

After testing my levels about a year ago my doctor suggested diet and exercise to try to get my numbers better. I have been watching my diet for about 9 months and have dropped 18 pounds. I have yet to get myself into a regular exercise routine.

After one years time-
My triglycerides which were only 82 at original testing dropped to 65.
My good cholesteral went from 39 to 43.
However, by bad cholesterol (136? can't find my report!) and my
total cholesterol did not change one point - still at 194.

At this point my doctor suggested 10 mg. Zocor daily. He states that he would like
ALL of his patients to take statins - because they are soooo good! He would
like my total level to be below 160 for optimum health.

I am very nervous about starting statins after hearing such opposite information.
Either they are the best thing since penicillin or they are to be avoided completely!

HELP? Just wanting to hear someone elses opinion.

THANK YOU!
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Mon Jul 07, 2003 6:51 pm

User avatar Dear JeanneOK,
Sorry for the delayed reply. Incidently the results from a new study on statins and how good they are have just been published. You will find a detailed article about it here at The Doctors Lounge. Even though you are not a diabetic i think you would benefit from reading this article.

statins/index.htm" class="postlink">Diabetics should receive statins, new study says

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here