Forum Name: Miscellaneous Cardiology Topics

Question: very tight brachial vein

woodsie - Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:29 am

Last week my brachial vein in my left arm felt tight, I was about to do a weights session so went through a gentle warm up and then stretched. During stretching I could feel a lot of pain through the inside of my arm, running from armpit to the ulna. My doctor said that during this stretching I have torn part of the brachial vein. There was some red tracking visible aswell, following the same line.

I have rested to allow repair and now 8 days later the bruising is nearly all gone and the tracking completely gone. The vein feels very tight and if I put my arm above my head I can feel it tighten to the extent that I could easily cause it to tear.

My right arm is as normal.

Why would this vein now be unusually tight? Could it be a thrombosis?
Should I encourage vaso-dilation to try to regain elasticity or vaso-constriction to allow it to properly heal?

Any thoughts welcome
 woodsie - Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:45 am

I saw a sports physiotherapist yesterday and here are his thoughts-

The damage was not to the vein but to a small muscle, the tightness is the ulnar nerve which runs down the same path. He thinks that the nerve needs to be gently encouraged out through stretching it out of where ever it is trapped. I do have very slight tingling in my 4th and 5th fingers when it is tight.

Again, any thoughts are welcome.

woodsie - Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:15 am

Saw another Doctor on Monday who got me an appointment with an orthopaedic consultant. The consultant said he wasn't really sure what it was- "Most likely, soft tissue damage". He ruled out nerve and vein damage and said to treat it as a muscle or tendon injury. He did not fill me with confidence. I think that something in the axillary sheath (median nerve maybe) has been trapped and is now still tight.

Would still welcome any professional thoughts.

|