News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Diseases of the Aorta

Question: Surgery after having the Ross Procedure done?

KCL - Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:02 pm

I am a 42 year old female that was born with aortic stenosis. I also had a bicuspid valve. At age 14, I had surgery done to repair the valve. At age of 36, I had the Ross Procedure done. I was under the assumption/hope that this would be the last heart surgery I would need. Well, I am now being told that my aorta valve is leaking at a moderate level again. My cardiologist says that I will have to have surgery again in the future although it could be a couple of years from now. What options for surgery will I have? Is there anything that I can do to slow down the progress of this leaky valve?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:13 am

User avatar Hello -- I am not in general a great fan of the Ross procedure except in certain selected patients, as it is rather complicated and leaves open the potential for later aortic valve disease as you've experienced. In the future you may well have no alternative but to accept a very strong and reliable prosthetic valve, since the Ross can only be done once. While this would mean accepting also lifelong use of anticoagulant therapy, in many cases it is a very worthwhile tradeoff of a minor annoyance in exchange for a valve that should last several lifetimes over.

Hope this is helpful to you. Good luck with this and please follow up with us as needed.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here