Question: Gastro problems with acid reflux, chest pain, & Left

Dorine - Sun Feb 27, 2005 3:12 pm

I was admitted to the hospital on Feb. 03, 2005. My blood pressure was high, I was on 100 mg of Metoprolol.
They were weaning me off slowly, (b.p.) was due to Vioxx (started 1999 quit them in July of 2004) then was placed on Celebrex still got very sick stopped using them in January, and all hell broke loose. My blood pressure was out of control, my GERD problem, which had been giving me problems since 1999, got even worse.
Now I had a gastroscopy (1-Sept. 2004, 2- January 05.2005). Also I had a monometry, catheter inserted through the nose to the stomach - Feb. 15.2005; ultrasound Feb. 14.2005.
I am having pains in my left arm going to the back of my neck down to my chest, the funny thing about it today, I started having numbness right down my left leg and toes. The pain is radiating from my chest (heaviness) to my neck and shoulder blade & down my left leg and toes. That worries me a bit, my physician is 40 miles from here. I would like to really know if it is my heart or my GERD problem. I was given a Nitro pump and I have used it and it seemed to help. The problem is I don't know if I should see a doctor immediately or wait to see if all of this will go away.
Sorry I wrote such a long letter,
Thank you very kindly,
Dorine
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Sun Feb 27, 2005 3:51 pm

User avatar Dear Coleen,

Your symptoms sound to me as if the pain you are having is most probably related to your spine rather than a cardiac problem or gerd.

However, you have a major risk factor for coronary disease, but the pain is atypical.

Being taken off of metoprolol can lead to angina or heart attack, but you said you are being weaned under medical supervision and most probably you will be fine.

i don't think that you have to be seen by a physician right away but i would recommend that you call your doctor in the morning and make an appointment to be seen.

If at any point, you think that the pain is getting worse or becomes continuous and you start having sweating and nausea, i would recommend that you go to the nearest emergency department.

Dorine - Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:04 am

Dear Dr. Yasser Mokhtar,
I , would like to take the time to thank you very much.You were very helpful; it is kinda what I thought ; but was unsure of what was happening to me. I have made a appointment as you suggested and they will see me on Wednesday the 2nd. March,,, thank you again... Keep up the good work,, will let you know what is happening,
Coleen

|