Question: Constant Tightness in Chest

Hollyirwin - Sun Feb 27, 2005 11:42 pm

I am a 28 year old female, non smoker, non drinker, excercise regularily but do have a office job which involves sitting at a desk using a computer most of the day. For about 6 months now, my chest has felt very tight with some pain up into the right side of my neck. The tightness is gone in the morning but comes on during the day. Somedays is worse than others, some days it isn't there at all. Excercise either allevieates the tightness or has no effect. I have not experienced any shortness of breath or dizziness with this condition but it can be moderately painful to take deep breaths on "bad" days.

My blood pressure sits at high normal in the doctors office and 120/80 and lower outside (self testing or when taken by other health practitioners). Had my cholesterol checked about 10 yrs ago and had no issues, energy level is good, not overly fatigued. Only other abnormality is some dry coughing when tightness is really bad and that the tendons and muscles in my neck are tender on right side of windpipe, directly above collarbone. This area feels "tense" to the touch and pressing on the tense areas sends pain shooting through my neck and into my shoulder.

I would like to assume this is just stress or a neck problem but taking holidays and weekends off don't make the problem go away and I can't think of any neck injury I have sustained. Personal life is good, very happy in that respect. Would really like to fix this problem as I have an active imagination and thinking of all the things this could be is probably worse for me that whatever the problem actually is. (any possibility of Scleroderma - sorry, saw a story on it last week, seemed plausible).

I would appreciate any advise, or strategies you might have.

Holly
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:05 pm

User avatar Dear Holly,

Females of the child bearing age are naturally protected against coronary disease. You don't have any major risk factors for coronary disease and the chest pain characteristics are atypical as compared to those of coronary disease. So, the probability that this pain be due to coronary disease is low. However, this cannot be ruled out over the internet. Please consult with your physician and have him perform an examination.

However, I think that you might be correct about this pain be due to a neck problem. i would recommend that you have a neck x-ray/ct scan of the neck done to rule out this problem.

Another cause of this chest tightness could be reflux disease (and you don't have to have heart burn). So, i would also recommend that you try some over the counter anti-acids and see if this helps the pain.

If after this trial the pain is till there, i would recommend that you be evaluated by your doctor.

|