Question: Chest and back pain 22 yrs old

fth - Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:12 pm

Hi, I am 22 years old, do not smoke and weigh 132 pounds and 5’10 tall. Since Oct 1st 2004 I have had a pain in my chest, pain under my left shoulder blade, a weak left arm with dull pain, and since Nov 9th 2004 ringing in both ears. I saw my family doctor who ordered a Holter monitor, blood test and EKG, all which seemed to be fine. Later he referred me to a cardiologist who did an exercise stress test which again seemed to be fine. Since these symptoms have begun I have had occasional chest pain when I wake up in the morning and persistent back pain and awareness of my own heartbeat. Physical activity seems not to affect the pain. I am very scared since I am only 22. Can coronary diseases start this young? Also I am concerned about the ringing in my ears, which I hear can be a side effect of high blood cholesterol. I will go back to my family doctor to check my good and bad cholesterol. Also, my mother died at the age of 38 from circulatory problems to some of her major organs. Besides cholesterol is there any other tests I should be perusing, or is it just stress? Thanks for listening.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:51 pm

User avatar Dear fth,

i think that you don't have coronary disease, there is nothing against checking your cholesterol. Your symptoms specially that of a weak shoulder point to a probable neck problem or neurological problem.

i would recommend that you be seen by a neurologist or at least have a neck x-ray/ct scan of the neck to exclude any problems there.

fth - Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:17 pm

Thanks Dr Mokhtar for your advice. I sincerely appreciate the time you spend in this forum; it's very helpful to talk to an expert. I will inquire about my cholesterol and see a ear nose and throat specialist for the tinnitus. Thanks again.

Frank

|