Question: 30 yr old female with atypical chestpain and other sx ?

vixen30 - Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:34 pm

hi. i hope i can get some more info on my symptoms...thanks in advance. :) ok.. i have been having chest pain in the upper left of my chest area. it has been going on for more than 6 months, and have been getting worse lately and more frequently. i would describe the pain as a bad ache, same area, and it just plain hurts. rest or activity does not seem to aggrevate , cause or relieve the pain. i can get the pain regardless of what i am doing, sleeping, eating, working, reading sitting, etc. i have been to the doctor, ecg was done and although he said that the results would be considered normal for most, he believed otherwise and scheduled a stress test(thalllium stress) and i just got word today that it was normal. i occasionally get SOB, and been having very bad back pain radiating from shoulders, to lower back. i do smoke about 1/2 ppd, don't drink, insomnia, fulltime nursing school , partime caregiver at a retirement home noc shift, four young kids, married with good marraige.left sided lower quadrant pain about 3x a week..2 previuos csections and tubal about 1 yr ogo done. i have also been getting occasional blurred vision that i am scheduled to have checked at the end of the month since it happens even with my glasses in that i use for reading and driving(nearsighted), DR. said it could be stress, depression or anxiety. i do get easily aggitated, irritated, lethargic, chronic fatigue, trouble concentrating to lectures in class in where i have to keep writing instead of listening cuz i cant seem to pay attention anyway but i am getting A's. i was prescribed xanax to see if it helps, which i think does, not with the chest pain but i start to get irritated and aggitated and fussy, which afteri take tends to calm me down and makes me better to be around with at home :) ambien does not seem to help much, i take one tab before bedtime but i still wake up numerous times at night and still getting up by 4-5 am. dr does not want me to become addicted to ambien and xanax... i do not take the meds unless needed as they are PRN's but otherwise they do seem to help with other probs other than chest pain..grandfather died of stroke, dementia. father is HTN, grandmother died of cervical cancer... i know i am babbling here but i am trying to give as much info as possible....
someone please advise? thanks[/code]
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:32 pm

User avatar Dear vixen30,

Females of the child bearing age are naturally protected against coronary disease, you have one major risk factor for coronary disease, your pain does not sound typical and your thallium stress was negative, so you don't have coronary disease.

i think that your symptoms might be caused by your neck and back problem as this is a common cause of chest pain. i would recommend that you have an x-ray/ct scan of the neck and upper back to exclude neck problems.

These symptoms could also be a part of irritable bowel syndrome if the pain in your left lower quadrant is associated with irregular bowel habits.

|