News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Cardiology Symptoms

Question: Chest Pain/Numbness Down Arm to Fingertips.

bsoft - Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:59 am

I’m 43 yr old female, non smoker, non drinker, (2 diet cokes a day) with a family history of heart disease (father passed away with congenital heart failure, 1 sister with MVP son with heart murmur), high blood pressure and diabetes. I work 60 hrs a week (self employed in sales, desk job). I’ve had pain, stabbing, and flutter (heart racing) in my upper left side of chest with shooting pain to numbness and tingly down to my fingers for the past month. This occurs at any given time during day or night. I would be sitting, walking, and even lying done. Sometimes the pain is quick and at times the pain is there for several minutes. There is no shortness of breath that occurs however at times I will grab my chest from the blunt sudden bout of pain in my upper chest. My fingers are always cold(guessing poor circulation) About 6 months ago I had a major dizzy spell where literally the whole room turned and the ground felt like it moved (no it wasn’t an earthquake) followed by numbness on left side. I have yet to have another spell like this. However I thought I would bring this to your attention.

My question is, could my symptoms be heart related, stress or at risk for a stroke? Getting quite concerned.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:03 pm

User avatar Dear bsoft,

Your symptoms might be due to:
1. Neck spine problem.
2. Heart problem.
3. Stroke related symptoms.
4. A combination of two of the above.

i think you have to be evaluated by a health care professinoal as soon as possible.

i would like to recommend that you have:
1. A ct scan of the neck to exlcude cervcical spine problems.
2. An ultrasound of the heart (echocardigram) to exclude mitral valve prolapse which can be associated with your symptoms.
3. 24 hours heart monitor to rule out arrhythmias as a culprit.
4. A carotid and vertebral arteries doppler (an ultrasound) to assess the blood flow going to the brain.

At this point, i don't think that this pain is due to coronary disease, because you don't have any major risk factor for coronary disease and because your chest pain sounds atypical and i don't think that a stress test will be helpful.

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here