Forum Name: Cardiology Treatment Modalities

Question: CPR equipment question

Emt - Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:09 am

I would be very grateful if you could help me.

I am doing a study of CPR equipment design (equipment used by paramedics on patients who have suffered heart failure).

I was wondering if you could help me identify the age of the equipment used in photograph below. Is this modern CPR equipment used by paramedics today, or do you think this particular CPR equipment is of an older, more dated design (possibly in common use a number of years ago)? I ask this because I am trying to determine whether this particular CPR equipment is up-to-date and still in use or if it has now been replaced with an improved design.
(I strongly apologize for the poor quality of the photo - it is the very best available of this particular equipment. I have labelled it to maximise clarity and context). If you could try to take a look and give me your general impression, I would be VERY appreciative.

Image

I am sorry that this is such an unusual question. I cannot stress how incredibly important finding the answer is to me. Any help or information you could provide would be hugely appreciated. I am unsure who/where else to ask. I am very new to the forum so hope I am posting in the correct place. Please let me know if you feel my question would be better suited elsewhere.

Thank you very much,

Kind Regards,
 John Kenyon, CNA - Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:30 am

User avatar Hello -- Having worked in the field ("field" meaning street as opposed to my time spent in indoor clinical settings) for over 30 years before going indoors, I can pretty well identify for you what's in the photo, and it is current equipment. However, before I go into the full description I'd like to clarify something: Heart failure is not a condition which, in itself, calls for CPR, although if severe it may require oxygen (O2) therapy. By "heart failure" I suspect you mean cardiac arrest, a stoppage of heart action, usually sudden and often unexpected.

Okay then: What I see is a patient in full code mode, having been intubated by EMS personnel, which is why the mouthpiece of the "mask" looks odd. It's not a mask at this point but a shield held in place with a strap, and through which the endotrachial tube passes. The rest is a bag mask with hand-squeezed pump, self-filling ventilation bag, and O2 tubing connected to the plenum chamber of the bag mask/tube connection. There also appears to be an IV in place but not running as yet, although this may be something else, since it's on the border of the cut photo. Further, one paramedic is performing chest compressions while the other squeezes the bag of the bag mask (also known as an ambu bag). There appear to be defibrillator pads in place as well as heart monitor electrodes. This is all normal paramedical equipment commonly used in a full code situation to attempt to resuscitate a patient in cardiac (or, rarely, respiratory only) arrest. It's all current and kosher.

I hope this helps. This was the best possible place to post this question. Good luck to you. Any further questions, please follow up with us here.

|