Forum Name: Cardiology Diagnostics

Question: Heart Beat throughout body - strange sensation

gaddington - Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:11 am

Male age 34
6'0", 275 #

I want to preface this by saying I have no pain or numbness. Sometimes at night while trying to rest or sleep, I have a sensation of feeling my heart beat throughout my body. During this, sometimes it feels kind of strange, it feels like im losing my breathe (kind of) or a shutter (sort of), it is hard to explain. I play basketball and coach football and baseball with my kids. I have had a very stressful workplace in the last few days with lay off and salaried personnel reductions(not me) but I had to escort those individuals off site (very stressfull). Background - In 1996, I had a very bad car wreck (broken femur, mutiple lacerations, bruise heart, 10-12 surgeries). My bloodpressue (i check it everynight) runs around 125/70 average. I feel it is stress but am kind of worried. What do you suggest?

Garrett in Kentucky!
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:49 pm

User avatar Hi Garrett -- This is a fairly common complaint and is often related to stress or simply being overly aware of one's normal body functions. However, sometimes this pulsing all over can actually be due to either some abnormal (but harmless) dilation of the blood vessels (sometimes due to a "nightcap") and sometimes also can be felt in people with elevated blood pressure. If you have a means of checking your blood pressure at night or just at any time as a baseline, this could rule this one problem out or in. Beyond that there's little that would be of medical concern, although stress can lead to anxiety and preoccupation with trivial sensations otherwise not usually noticed. Most of the time this particular complaint amounts to nothing, but elevated blood pressure should be ruled out, and if you do have a drink late in the evening in order to help sleep this could also cause this sensation -- and disturb sleep as well (and if you were sleeping really well you'd probably not notice this particular phenomenon anyway. Stress then pushes to the front as a possible culprit.

I hope this is helpful. Good luck to you and please follow up with us here as needed.

|