News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Hypertension

Question: Poor circulation in ankle/calf

RobertG19 - Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:08 pm

I am a 28 yr old male and am currently taking atenolol for high blood pressure. Doctors said I have acute benign familial hematuria. My question is my ankle area and calf feels like it is not getting enough circulation. Also i have a vein on the back of my ankle that that I can see that goes vertical from the bottom of my ankle to my calf. Don't know if it has anything to do with my high blood pressure or not. Been going on for about a couple weeks. There is no pain, but it just doesn't feel normal and my other ankle is fine. Have not injured it in any way.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:03 am

User avatar Hello -- The ankle/calf problem should not in any way be related to the benign familial hematuria ("thin membrane disease" otherwise known). This sounds actually fairly normal, although there could be some sort of poor venous return causing his distended vein you've noticed. Of course it's also possible a sensation in the area only caused you to pay attention and notice this vein, which may have been there all along. If there is pain or swelling in the area it needs to be evaluated by a doctor, but otherwise I suspect it is just a muscle tightness, possible slight soft-tissue injury not noticed when it occurred. Again, any swelling, pain or discoloration means it should me medically evaluated. It has no relation to thin membrane disease nor should it have anything to do with high blood pressure.

I hope this is helpful to you. Good luck to you and please follow up with us here as needed.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here