Question: pain under arm, upper back

yasiralhayan - Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:55 am

am male and 23yrs old, computer professional , most of my time spent sitting before the computer. my weight is 90Kg and heght is 5.9 inch.
i felt pain in my upper left back, right down to the arm and back to the heart as i guess.
when i work and do exercise i goes off and when i lye down on the bed i comes back, its mild and don't grow. i feel that may be its starting from backside and comes to heart inside.
this is only when i try to sleep on the bed, and only when i sleep straight to the up, when i change the position pain disappear.
i also started weight lifting for few days.
i walk daily and do some exercise for 40-45 minutes but was not so active before 6 month, so i got weight, but for last 5 month am trying my best to loose my wieght.
am worrird that if it is heart related problem.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:56 pm

User avatar Hello -- What you describe doesn't sound as though it is heart-related, but I'm not certain where you guess your heart to be located and a lot of people mistakenly believe it is on the left side of the chest, near or just below the breast. It's actually in the center of the chest. The pain you describe also sounds peculiar in that it seems to start in the back, move down your arm, then come back toward the heart, which is a very retrograde (backward) pathway for heart pain.

While you are technically somewhat overweight you are also young and fairly fit, not morbidly obese, so these aren't the most urgent concerns (although the body mass index probably should be lower, and you are working on the weight). The primary concern with your weight is the fact there is a family history of diabetes, and weight control (along with exercise and diet) is essential to avoiding development of this problem later on in life.

The pains you're having sound like they may be postural in nature, possibly due to your work and repetitive motion or posture at the work station. This often can lead to a condtion known as thoracic outlet syndrome (TOS) which often can be relieved by correction of posture. The fact the problem occurs when lying down also suggests this may be the cause.

Because there is some question as to the actual location of the pain (and your estimation of the location of your heart) it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to have a complete baseline physical with 12-lead EKG, which could set your mind at ease about any possible heart problems and perhaps gather at the same time some good advice as to possible orthopedic/nerve causes of this pain.

I hope this is helpful to you. Good luck to you and please follow up with us here as needed.
 yasiralhayan - Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:33 am

thanks mr.John for your detailed reply.
Am now fit, and pain vanished with out any treatment, however i will followup your advice .
regards

|