Question: Constant Severe Chest Pain

bryan466 - Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:31 am

Hello, I am new to this forum and am really feeling like my problem can not be solved.. I have constanst chest pain (feels like a MAC truck is parked right on my breastbone) that started over a year ago. So far I have done the following 4 ER visits ( EKG's, Xrays and blood work), I have seen 2 diff. family practice doctors and one highly regarded Cardiovascular doctor, at his office I have had stress tests, ekgs and echo tests with an ultrasound device. My cardiologist has found nothing wrong with my heart after all this and in fact said all looked good, he has put me on Diovan cause my blood pressure was hoovering around 140/85.. I do suffer from anxiety but I feel most of the anxiety comes from this chest pain.. when I take my xanax the chest pain does seem to get a little better but does not go away. My chest pain does not get worse with deep breaths or coughing. The chest pain is so severe that I do not exercise anymore for feer I might collapse/ witch probably causes more anxiety.. So I am 26 and I feel like everyday might be my last here on earth. ANY advise would be greatly appriciated, I have given up hope that any family practice doctor can help me, they usally just throw anti depressants at me... I do not feel depressed so why would they do that? In fact I love life and just want to get rid of this chest pain. They have put me on Zoloft and Lexipro in the past, both of which just flat out made me feel worse.. If any doctors that read this board have any ideas that may help I would love to hear them.
Bryan
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:07 pm

User avatar Dear Bryan,

You don't have any major risk factor for coronary disease (hypertension has to be there for a while before it starts affecting the blood vessels), and the chest pain is atypical, so to begin with, the probability that this pain is due to coronary disease is very low. On top, you had a negative stress test, so, you don't have coronary disease.

Did your cardiologist mention anything about mitral valve prolapse on the echocardiogram? It is a condition that is notorious for causing atypical chest pain.

Have you tried any medication for this pain besides the ones that you mentioned?

Other causes of chest pain include:
1. Neck problems. i suggest that you have a neck x-ray to exclude neck problems.
2. Acid reflux disease (alone or as a part of a condition called hiatal hernis). i suggest that you have a trial of anti-acids to see whether it is going to help. If it does not happen, i recommend that you be seen by a gastro-enterologist to decide whether or not you need an endoscopy.
3. Inflammation of the cartilages of the ribs. i recommend that you have a trial of anti-inflammatories to see if this is going to help the pain.

If you are worried that this pain is due to coronary disease, it is not. Please, try to live your life without letting this pain affect you and your life. It is easier said than done, but at least give it a try.

|