Question: Left-sided chest pain, tight feeling in jaw, ect.....

SeraphisCain - Wed Mar 02, 2005 7:55 am

Hi. I'm 21 and have been diagnosed with mitral valve prolapse, as well as anxiety disorder and recurrent depression. I have chest pain quite often. Most recently (about 10 minutes ago) I had very severe left sided chest pain that only lasted a few seconds. It was more of a squeezing pain. It got me worried, and eventually I found this site. The pain faded away, as I said, in a few seconds, but it left me with a cold feeling in my left shoulder, a tight feeling in my jaw, and tingling fingers on my left hand. I also have palpitations quite often (though less than I used to since I have almost completely quit caffiene). I've been to a cardiologist and had an exercise stress test and bubble study done, both of which came back clear save for the prolapse. I also have, admittedly, very bad posture. Normally while I'm at the computer I sit with my knees up to my chin, for upwards of an hour or two at a time. That has me afraid that I may get a blood clot or something. I also get numbness between my shoulders. I guess my question is, should I still worry about having a heart attack? I know I'm very young to be worrying about it....And if I shouldn't worry, then what could be causing my symptoms? Is it just the prolapse? Or a combination of the prolapse and the anxiety?
 SeraphisCain - Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:44 am

Also, my resting heart rate is about 90-110. Is this bad?
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:48 pm

User avatar Dear SeraphisCain,

Mitral valve prolapse is notorious for causing atypical chest pain. So, the pain that you have is most probably due to the prolapse.

The pain can also be due to neck problems that you are starting to develop based on the posture that you take when you sit to your computer. Blood clots do not develop that easily in the otherwise active person that just sits to his computer for a couple of hours taking a certain posture.

Chest pain due to mitral valve prolapse may be controlled by medications. You have a little bit of a rapid pulse that might be due physical inactivity. These medications will be helpful in controlling this rapid pulse as well.

i don' think that you should worry about this pain being due to a heart attack especially that you had a negative stress test.

|