Forum Name: Valvular Heart Diseases

Question: Ruptured Cordae Tendinae

Anonymous - Fri Dec 27, 2002 6:56 pm

I recently incurred bilateral inguinal hernias on the job and after my preop work-up they refused to schedule surgery due to the echo that was done. The echo showed severe prolapse of the mitral valve posterior leaf, severe mitral regurgitation,, anterior directed mitral regurg jet, pulmonary vein systolic flow reversal and one or two ruptured chordae teninae. I get sob and feel a pressure in my chest often. How serious is this? The cardiac surgeon I have stated the echo was over-read. Can you explain to me what the echo result are saying in layman's terms. Thank you.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Sun Feb 09, 2003 9:03 pm

User avatar Dear Shane,

Thank you very much for using our webiste.

How old are you? How tall are you and how much do you weigh?

Was the echocardiogram that you had through the chest wall or through swallowing something like a scope (called transesophageal).

How long have you these symptoms of shortness of breath and by saying you get them often what do you mean? How frequent, how far can you go on ground level before getting short of breath and how many flight of stairs can you climg without problems?

Do you have any other medical problems? And why do you follow-up with a cardiac surgeon?

In layman's terms, you have 4 chambers in your heart, 2 left and 2 right. In between these chambers there are doors (called valves), some of these doors (valves) like the mitral valve are kept in place by strings or ropes (called cordae tendinae). The doors have a function of closing and opening to keep blood going in a forward manner all the time.

What you have is that the miral valve is not closing when it should causing the blood to go in the wrong direction. And from the echo report, i assume that reason is that the ropes attached to the valves (cordae tenindae) are torn from the valve. This looks like it is severe to me until proven otherwise. If this continues for a while and it is not corrected especially that you are stating to complain of shortness of breath, you run the risk of developing heart failure that could be irreversible at one time.

My advice to you is to seek help at a cardiologist and he can tell you exactly what to do and he might also ask to undergo catheterization of the left side of the heart to assess the severity of the condition.

Once more thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and hope that i gave a better understanding of your condition and help you make a better choice in managing your health.

|