News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Cardiology Symptoms

Question: Left arm numbness and chest pains

reds1477 - Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:36 pm

I am 32 years of age and play sports weekly. I am not the healthiest eater, but am not over weight. Slightly anemic and just began the Nuva ring approximately 2 weeks ago.

During the past 4-6 months I've had frequent heart/chest pains. In some instances I am aware it was from stress. However there were times where I would just sit there and begin to have chest pains. Those pains would be anywhere from the left side of my chest to the middle. With the most pain in the middle.

Within the past couple of weeks I am having daily numbness and pain in my left arm.

Any suggestions regarding both issues.

Thank you
 John Kenyon, CNA - Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:55 am

User avatar Hi there -- While it is probably your symptoms are orthopedic in nature, and you are young, female, and generally healthy, still women are not only not immune to heart disease, but often have it manifest in atypical ways. For this reason alone I would suggest you see someone with the intent of having a baseline cario workup with EKG and possibly some specialized blood work, just to rule out any possible early coronary artery or structural heart disease. Again, I feel it is unlikely this is the cause of your symptoms, but given the vague nature of them and the often peculiar presentaions in women, it would be good to have this worry ruled out up front. Then you could safely take your time in trying to figure out what actually is wrong (and of course on the off-chance you do have a heart problem you'd want to know so it could be managed now, before it becomes more serious). I can't emphasize enough my doubts about this being heart-related, but equally strongly cannot emphasize enough the importance, especially in women, of ruling this out due to the often atypical early presentation of symptoms. I just think you'd feel a lot better knowing that's not what's happening. I know I would.

I hope this is helpful. Good luck to you and please follow up with us here as needed.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here