Forum Name: Miscellaneous Cardiology Topics

Question: stenting in LAD

vsjain - Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:25 pm

My father got was having a chest pain and he did the Angiography where report says tht LAD had 90 % , other 2 had 80% blockages.. Doctor put 2 stents in the LAD overlapping (without our Consent while he said only 1). in other 2 artilerries also he put one stent each at the same time.. so 4 stents at he same hour.
My query is
1. Can LAD hav 2 stents at the same time. tht too overlapping?
2. blockage more then 90 % was it safe for doctor to advise for Stenting?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:22 pm

User avatar Hello -- The stenting of stenosed coronary arteries is often the difference between a heart attack or damaged heart muscle and extended and improved health. Since your father consented to an angiogram he placed himself in the position of tacit agreement to stenting (or other measures to prevent harm), and with the degree of narrowing he had, especially in his LAD, this would seem to be the only alternative to open bypass surgery. The LAD was nearly closed. The plaque could have ruptured at any moment or a clot could have closed off the artery at any moment. The narrowing was clearly longer than the practical length of a single stent, so very often it becomes necessary to insert a second through the first to extend the benefit of the recanalization of the artery. Since the LAD serves a great part of the front of the left ventrical it is often referred to as the "widowmaker" because when blocked the damage is often fatal. Your father may well have had his life saved or at least extended, and bypass surgery avoided, by this stenting procedure. To insert one stent when it doesn't span the length of the narrowing leaves no viable choice but to "overlap" (actually to slip a second through the first, which may overlap a tiny bit) in order to keep the artery patent and functioning. Your father's doctor did the only reasonable thing he could, given the circumstances. With a 90% blockage of the LAD only extensive stenting or open bypass could assure his survival. It is not only safe and effective, it was, as it turns out, probably lifesaving. This procedure is extremely common has a very high rate of success, assuming the patient applies the needed lifestyle changes (diet, exercise, stress management and anti-cholesterol medication).

I hope this is reassuring to you. Please follow up with us here as needed. Good luck to you and to your father.
 vsjain - Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:06 am

The trauma of pain n swelling in legs came bt doc said its only a cold n common problem.. (all treatment was don't by no .1 Dr. Ashok Seth , From Escorts Fortis Hospital.)
they admitted my dad for 4 days bt also they didnt able to detect the problem and said its nt a big deal.
and after two weeks, they said there is a leakage in LAD and they did the by-pass after which my dad never spoke and after 25 days he left for heavenly abode. but the pain over 25 days was nt comparable..
one mroe thing.. that 2 stents overlapping with each other stent can be done at the same hour or not?
my dad was not sick at all.. he was all fine n well.. he went for a regular chekup.. & tht too driving his own car as usuall.. Docs persue him to go for stenting.. he was nonsmoker, no diabetic, no hisrtory or background of heart, perfect kidney & lungs, i mean no problem at all.. he was very fine and use to do regular excercise & strict diet..
of course.. he had sum chest pain that is why he went for a check up with the doctor.. where he did regular chek up including.. Diabetes, echo, for lungs, lever, sum culture reports. then at echo he said sum prob then he did Angiography..
I m not sure the things are different in India and US or not? but will search for it..
One new thing which i came to knw today that in India they always say to go for stenting as doctors get the commision from the stent company.. AMAZING... in India everything is very commercialised.. this is what i spoke to a frnd who sells stent in India.. they say commision varies from 30 % to 70 % depending on stent n company of stent..
If u want to know more about the case lemme knw i will send u in details. I have lost my father but can or try to save many lives..
BUT PLEASE HELP ME TO FIGHT THE CASE AGAINST MONEY MINDED DOCTORS.

|