News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Ischemic Heart Disease

Question: Flutters in chest

Ellemi - Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:08 am

I have been getting a feeling of short flutters (as fast as an electric shock) in my chest, around the breast bone and in the centre of the chest. It can occur over and over again for maybe 10 minutes at a time all throughout the day and during the night too. It's been happening for the last 3 days. At the same time I have had an uncomfortable feeling that my throat and airways are too open and it's far too easy to breath! Is this anything to worry about? I don't know whether it has anything to do with it but I haven't had a drink in the last 4 months and a few days ago I had one glass of red wine. Could it have triggered anything?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:43 pm

User avatar Hello -- What you describe is very likely premature heartbeats, either ventricular (PVCs) or atrial (PACs) or perhaps some of both. This is an extremely common phenomenon, only some people feel every one of them while others are totally unaware it is happening. It's a really benign thing, everyone has it happen at some time or another, and there are so many benign causes it would be impossible to list them all here, but even drinking a little wine can sometimes cause a few flutters. It's fine.

The sensation of inhalation being "almost too easy" is also common, although I don't think I've ever heard anyone complain about it. The cause of this sensation is unclear but is suspected to be the reverse of throat tightening (globus sensation), and if the subject is somewhat anxious to start with and suffers from globus sensation anyway, it relaxing (something else wine can cause, among other things), the change in sensation could be disconcerting, I suppose, just because it is so different. It can't be a bad thing, however, and is probably worth embracing and enjoying.

I hope this is helpful. Good luck to you and please follow up with us here as needed.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here