Question: Difficulty Breathing

Lister - Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:04 am

Hi All

Over the past 2 weeks I have found that breathing has become a concious effort. It is as though there is a cloth or obstruction over my mouth. I have a chesty cough aswell.

I am quiet fit, and exercise 3 or 4 times a week , swimming, running, an weights etc.

I was diagnosed with bronchitis around 6 months ago (same symptoms) and was prescribed a course of anti biotics which seemed to cure me.

Now the same symptoms are back but seem worse.

I am a smoker between 2 and 4 a day at most.... honest.

Any help would be appreciated

Lister
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:50 am

User avatar Dear Lister,

It sounds that you have bronchitis once more. Please, call your doctor as it sounds that you are going to need antibiotics as this has been going on for 2 weeks. Please, don't wait that long next time. Please, stop smoking, at least when you are ill, because this helps the lungs clear the secreations.

Lister - Fri Mar 04, 2005 6:44 am

Dear Yasser Mokhtar

Thank you very much for taking the time to read and respond to my post.

I will contact my doctor today and stop smoking also.

Many thanks

Lister
 Lister - Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:13 am

Hi again

Could I please just ask one more question.

Is there any reason i would get bronchitis again so soon after my original diagnosis and course of antibiotics, such as an underlying chest problem?

I know smoking doesnt help and am trying to stop.

Many thanks

Lister
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:03 pm

User avatar Dear Lister,

6 months is not such a long period.

Smoking makes the bronchi and lung tissue unhealthy and more easily infected than a non-smoker's lung. It inhibits the motion of the cilia which accumulated secretions. So, in the presence of secreations, low immunity of the lung (less healthy) and any virus or bacteria, bronchitis develops.

|