Forum Name: Clots & Anticoagulants

Question: Numb/Stiff Left Leg. Worried about blood clot.

missyann - Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:21 pm

The past few hours my left leg has been very stiff, I tried going for a walk but it almost feels like I am walking on a leg that isn't part of my body. It is numb in the middle of my thigh but tingles down my lower leg and foot. There is also no pain or noticable swelling. I also tried a hot shower I thought maybe it was a pulled muscle. I'm worried it might be a blood clot but I don't want to over react about nothing if it really is nothing.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:46 pm

User avatar Hi there -- While this sounds more like a nerve compression problem than a potential clot (because of the numbness you describe), should it continue or if there is any pain or swelling or any sort of lump or knot palpable behind the knee -- or if you're simply not convinced or this doesn't go away shortly, you should be seen to rule out a deep vein thrombosis (DVT) via simple ultrasound, which only takes a few minutes. If this is ruled out and/or if the numbness and stiffness continue, something else is wrong and would require some sort of medical attention. It would likely be sciatica in that case, but that can be pretty painful or at least disabling. Main thing you want to do, though, is rule out DVT, even if it seems unlikely. If you should have the ultrasound done, by all means insist on a D-dimer blood test along with it, to cover all the bases and rule this out once and for all. It really doesn't sound like DVT at this point, but there's no point in not ruling it out.

Hope this helps. Good luck to you. Please follow up with us here as needed.

|