News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Cardiology Symptoms

Question: Chest Pain, then neck pain

Chris18 - Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:43 pm

For the last two or three years, I have been getting a pain between my stomach and lower chest on my left side. . It hurts the most when I'm moving to lay down and when I walk. My doctor says that it must be a cartilage problem or a tender rib. The episodes seem to come once every year because she documented the exact same thing in my last visit 13 months ago. After the pain leaves the left side of me chest, it always seems to move into the right side of my neck. This usually goes on for a week or so. Is there any explanation for this? I seem to worry more about it since I have a newborn son. Thank you so much for any advice you can give on my problem.

Chris
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:26 pm

User avatar Dear Chris,

To determine whether or not chest pain is due to coronary disease, major risk factors that the patient has for coronary disease and the characteristics of the pain are looked at and then the probability of the pain being due to coronary disease is determined.

Regarding your major risk factors, you did not say how old was your father when he had his first heart attack (if was below 50 years then you have a positive family history as a major risk factor), you said you drink on weekends, do you smoke?

The characteristics of the pain that you are describing are absolutely atypical as compared to those of chest pain related to coronary disease. So, the probability of this pain being due to coronary disease is very low.

The symptoms that you are describing could be due to:
1. Neck problems. Very common cause of chest pain. i recommend having a neck x-ray/ct scan to rule out any problem.
2. Reflux disease. i would recommend you trying some over the counter anti-acids, as reflux can sometimes present with real strange symptoms (without even having heart burn).

If the pain comes only once a year, i would not really worry about it unless it becomes more frequent or start changing its characteristics be becoming more severe or more persistent.

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here