Question: Tightness around throat, sides of throat, persistent cough..

justinabarnes - Thu Mar 03, 2005 5:47 pm

Quick background:

Black woman, thirties, had problems with serious anemia due to fibroiids. Had UFE procedure in 2002. Since the excessive bleeding has been arrested but there have been signs that the problem may be returning. Around the same time, after two months of terrible coughing and horrific right side chest pressure pains, I was diagnosed as an asthmatic

UPDATE: The dry persistent cough continues unabated. Seems better at night, but the moment I am and moving, it begins again. There are times when the coughing triggers a terrible headache.....

As a result fo the above condition, my physical condition deteriorated. While I appear strong, overall muscle strength and cardio are abysmal. Attempts to regain soime reasonable state of fitness are hampered as a result of my not being able to 'do' anything without breathing difficulty and/or chest pain.

I had been trying to increase fitness but the blood pressure issue is a problem. If I began any kind of cardio work, I had a tightness in the chest area..

Right now, I am dealing with a tightness that is situatied around both sides of my throat and if feels as though there is some heavy tension on/around my collar bone area.. My GP believes this is simple stress; I do not. It is unlike anything I have encountered so I know it is not 'normal'..

I do not have any headaches and while I feel I could go and play a game of squash, I know that after three minutes I would be on the floor panting and clutching my chest..

Interesting though: of late I have developed a hypersensitiivity to salt. Even though I am trying to follow the DASH diet, I find even the smallest amounts send me running with the worst headaches imaginable. This is a recent occurence.

I have just started taking ATALAT 30MG I have been on them for about 20 days.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated..
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Fri Mar 04, 2005 5:14 am

User avatar Dear Justina,

Females of the child bearing age are naturally protected against coronary disease unless they have had major risk factors for coronary disease for a long period of time. You have intermittent smoking and hypertension (but the hypertension has not been there for that long) as major risk factors for coronary disease and the characteristics of the pain that you are describing are somewhat atypical as compared to those of chest pain related to coronary disease. So, the probability of this pain being due to coronary disease is low.

The chest tightness that you get can be due to your asthma and is actually not pain but difficulty breathing. There is an entity called exercise induced asthma. i would recommend that you try an inhaler before you exercise and see whether this makes a difference.

The feeling that you have (tightness at your collar bone) in addition to the chest pain and even the asthma especially if you have night attack can all be due to acid reflux disease. i recommend that you try anti-acid medications and see if this is going to help.

If you still continue to have this pain, then i would recommend that you see an ear, nose and throat specialist to have a look down your throat and see what is wrong.

Regarding the headache that you have been having, i am not sure what atalat is as this is the trade name but if it is the same as adalat (nifedipine) then this medication is well known for causing headaches.

|