Question: PSVT treatment

fooll2 - Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:44 pm

I'm a 42 year old married lady. I had my first encounter of PSVT in March 1998 and it did not recur again till yesterday. My heart beat was 280 and I had to rush to my doctor to seek treatment. My doctor advise me to consider a surgical treatment of modification of the electrical conduction pathway. I am quite hesistant as this is only second time that it happen. My main concern is I will be following my husband for an overseas posting in Shanghai, China. I would like to hear your professional recommendation on whether I should go for the surgical treatment and the risk involve. Thank you.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Fri Mar 04, 2005 4:55 am

User avatar Dear fooll2,

It is unpredictable when you are going to have your next attack of psvt. You never had any problem with dizziness or syncope the first two times, but no one knows how your body will react to the next attack.

The surgical procedure is not really a surgery. It is an invasive procedure. It does not involve opening your chest or any thing of the sort. It is done by passing a special catheter through your groin vein to the heart where the electrical activity of your heart is recorded and mapped. This will show if you have an accessory pathway or not and at the same time ablate this pathway by radiofrequency. You can go home the next day if all goes well. No procedure is without complications of course and it could involve bleeding, failure of the procedure, injury to any of the blood vessels of the groin amongst others.

i am not sure how long you are going to be in China, but i am sure that in Shanghai, they have very good cardiologists that can take of you if anything happens and even do this procedure if you need it.

There are medications that can can be given for psvt, i think if you are going to be in China for a short period of time, may be it is a good idea to have them and when you come back, may be you should think about having this procedure.

|