News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Cardiology Symptoms

Question: PSVT treatment

fooll2 - Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:44 pm

I'm a 42 year old married lady. I had my first encounter of PSVT in March 1998 and it did not recur again till yesterday. My heart beat was 280 and I had to rush to my doctor to seek treatment. My doctor advise me to consider a surgical treatment of modification of the electrical conduction pathway. I am quite hesistant as this is only second time that it happen. My main concern is I will be following my husband for an overseas posting in Shanghai, China. I would like to hear your professional recommendation on whether I should go for the surgical treatment and the risk involve. Thank you.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Fri Mar 04, 2005 4:55 am

User avatar Dear fooll2,

It is unpredictable when you are going to have your next attack of psvt. You never had any problem with dizziness or syncope the first two times, but no one knows how your body will react to the next attack.

The surgical procedure is not really a surgery. It is an invasive procedure. It does not involve opening your chest or any thing of the sort. It is done by passing a special catheter through your groin vein to the heart where the electrical activity of your heart is recorded and mapped. This will show if you have an accessory pathway or not and at the same time ablate this pathway by radiofrequency. You can go home the next day if all goes well. No procedure is without complications of course and it could involve bleeding, failure of the procedure, injury to any of the blood vessels of the groin amongst others.

i am not sure how long you are going to be in China, but i am sure that in Shanghai, they have very good cardiologists that can take of you if anything happens and even do this procedure if you need it.

There are medications that can can be given for psvt, i think if you are going to be in China for a short period of time, may be it is a good idea to have them and when you come back, may be you should think about having this procedure.

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here