Forum Name: Cardiology Diagnostics

Question: Echocardiogram and chest pain

vondac - Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:22 pm

I am a 38 year old female who had an Echocardiogram done back in November (I have had one every couple of years because of Fen-phen use) my other 2 Echo's were normal but this included the following:

Normal Size of cardiac chambers
Mild left ventricular hypertrophy, normal chamber size and contractility, ejection fraction
nearly 50-55%
Right ventricular contractilty is normal
No significant valvular abnormalities, pericardial effusion, intracardiac thrombus, left to right shunt
Doppler study showed mil triscuspid regurgitation, mild pulmonary hypertension, systolic pressure 37 mmHg

All other findings were within normal limits

I am concerned as how bad this is, I have read so much about Pulmonary Hypertension it scares me to think that I have it. I have been having really bad chest pain over the past few weeks, could this be related to what my Echo says?

Vonda
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Sat Mar 05, 2005 7:42 am

User avatar Dear Vonda,

You have very mild pulmonary hypertension. For now, i don't think you should be worrying. This being said, however, i would like to add that a reason for this pulmonary hypertension has to be looked for.

In the obese population, developing pulmonary hypertension without an obvious cause usually points to the presence of obstructive sleep apnea. So, i would recommend that you have a sleep study.

Can having chest pain be associated with increase in the pulmonary pressures? The answer is yes. In cases of acute pulmonary embolism (blood clots to the lungs). But in your case it is a long shot because if this was the case, you would have been very sick and need to be admitted to the hospital. Can it happen in your case, it could, in case you were having very small repeated showers of pulmonary embolization to your lungs.

Chest pain has many causes and any person who has chest pain has to be evaluated by a health care professional. Please, schedule an appointment to be see by your doctor or if over the week end the pain intensifies, i would recommend that you visit the emergency department.

vondac - Sat Mar 05, 2005 8:52 am

Thank you so much for your reply, my family doctor was not concerned at all, but I was a little concerned. I did have a sleep study a few years ago but it only found that I have restless leg and only very very mild sleep apnea. I have lost 25lbs since then. If the sleep apnea isn't the cause, what should be done, if anything? Will it continue to get worse. I have read so much about PH and it scares me. Thanks again for your reply.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Sat Mar 05, 2005 11:01 am

User avatar Dear Vonda,

i don't think that these figures are worrisome. i think having a follow-up echocardiogram on regular basis should be ok. If you start having any of the sympytoms of pulmonary hypertension like shortness of breath or lower limb edema, report to your doctor so that an echocardiogram can be done.

vondac - Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:12 pm

Thank you for your reply. Last night after I posted my concerns, I had severe chest and arm pain that radiated down to my elbow and hand, this is the third time I have had this. I had to take pain medication in order for it to stop, it usually lasts for around and hour to ah hour and a half if I take pain medication, not sure how long it would last if I didn't take the pain medicine. I have no edema, I do have shortness of breath every once in a while. I wondering if this chest pain could be angina? Thanks again for your replies.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Sat Mar 05, 2005 1:09 pm

User avatar Dear Vonda,

Females of the child bearing age are naturally protected against coronary disease. You have only one risk factor for coronary disease and your chest pain sounds atypical, so the probability of this pain being due to coronary disease is low.

However, if you have never been evaluated for this chest pain, please, i advise you to be evaluated for this chest pain by your doctor.

Please, schedule an appointment to see your doctor asap.

vondac - Sat Mar 05, 2005 2:04 pm

I did have a EKG and chest xray the first time I had the pain but they were both normal and they dx me as Pluerisy and told it would pass. I have two other episodes since then. I am going to see a Pulmonary Specialist about the PH, could he help me with this chest pain? Thanks
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Sat Mar 05, 2005 2:21 pm

User avatar Dear Vonda,

If the pain is from the lungs, the pulmonologist will be able to help you.

Sometimes, acid reflux disease can cause chest pain, have you tried an anti-acid medication?

Chest pain can also be caused by neck problems, i would recommend that you have a neck x-ray/ct scan to exclude the presence of neck spine problems.

|