Forum Name: Cardiomyopathy

Question: Cardiomyopathy and Pregnancy

MHellman1027 - Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:30 pm

I am a 32 year old gravida 1 para 1. I was diagnosed with Cardiomyopathy during my pregnancy in 2002 at the age of 24. It was found that my cardiomyopathy was chemotherapy induced from treatment of Rhabdomyosarcoma in 1985. My EF prior to delivery was 32%. After a year of medical management it had improved to 42%, however it was suggested that I avoid further pregnancies and as a result I underwent an elective tubal ligation. I have since been divorced and remarried and my husband and I are considering attempting to have a child together. My most recent Echo (Dec '08) showed an EF of 45%, which has been the case for the last 5-6 years without medication. I understand that I would first have to undergo a reversal of my tubal ligation, but would like to know if it would be safe to proceed? I would not go thru the procedure and or become pregnant if the risks outweighed the benefits but would like to know nonetheless. I thank you for your time and any information or advice you could give would be greatly appreciated.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:46 pm

User avatar Hi there -- First, good news on the EF, which is near normal now. That's a really big improvemet. The lower-than-normal EF, by itself, would not necessarily make pregnancy -- especially delivery -- more dangerous to you, but the context of it is what matters. You did have cardiomyopathy, it seems to be correcting nicely, and is certainly a lot better than it was during your first childbirth. This is very encouraging, but of course only your cardiologist can give you the full green light, having full access to your records and therefore full knowlege of the details. On the face of it I would think this would be an easier pregnancy and delivery than the first one, but I hesitate to trump your doctor's insight and real-time involvement. The best I can do is say it would seem more promising than the first time around, and you seem do have done remarkably well with that. The tubal ligation reversal might actually pose more of a risk than carrying a baby to term, but again, on the face of it this seems not unreasobable. And again, that is only my speculation from a distance. It should not be construed as a green light to go ahead with either. You'll need to be followed by a cardiologist during all this should it be considered okay to try it. The odds, as they stand right now, would favor a safe and successful procedure and presumably a safe (for you as well as baby) pregnancy. I hope that's the case, but my opinion counts for very little in this instance except informed conversation.

Good luck to you with this. Please follow up with us here as needed and keep us updated.

|