Forum Name: Heart Failure

Question: Early Signs Of heart Failure

Link_pad - Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:01 pm

I am a 25 Year old fit Male, 4 Months ago i was diagnosed with Severe TR. Worrying itself i didn't recieve any symptoms. But in Last month i have had onset of Chest pain i went to A & E had ECG and blood test both were Ok. But now i have noticed sometimes rapid heartbeats, occasional Chest Pain, constant indigestion. I am beggining to suspect the early signs of heart failure i have a cardio Surgeon who will replace my valve should i make him more aware of how i am now feeling ??

Patrick Lee
 John Kenyon, CNA - Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:23 pm

User avatar Hello Patrick -- While the symptoms may be coincidental, they also could be related to right heart failure, so yes, I think it would be prudent to let the doctor know about this. If he feels it's irrelevant it probably is. If not then he'll want to take a closer look. Its difficult to say from a distance whether or not this is actually related to the defective valve, but it could be, and that's reason enough to let your doctor know.

Hope this helps. Good luck to you and please keep us updated.
 Link_pad - Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:17 pm

Thanks taken it up with the doctor he sent me straight to A & E which was a bit of a wait then they said no evidence of heart attack and sent me home. Again i saw doctors after chest pain so they did x ray though it might be pocket of air after i had my lung drained 4 years ago but nothing on that.

Its been over a year now and i still haven't seen a cardiologist even after being diagnosed with severe TR 8 months ago. I'm still getting the occasional onset of chest pain and wary as you that this is onset of heart failure what should i do ?

Thanks Patrick Lee
 John Kenyon, CNA - Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:20 pm

User avatar Heart failure isn't often heralded by chest pain, but some of the other symptoms could possibly be related. However, when one develops CHF the most significant features would be profound fatigue, shortness of breath and swelling in the calves, ankles and feet. Watch out for this triad of symptoms to be sure, but the rest is unlikely to be CHF related. It's great a heart attack was ruled out, but the real concern is potentially progressive failure of that valve, which should be followed by a specialist. I'm not sure how you'd go about instigating the next level of care, since no one is looking at what should be the center of attention right now. However, absent the three major symptoms listed above, you're probably not in CHF, so rest easy for now. Again, if all three should show up -- and persist -- then by all means bring this to the attention of your doctor promptly.
 Link_pad - Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:15 pm

Thanks so much for your help,
After some persuasion from my doctor the echo has been bought forward to this week (08/01/10). I personally thingk they need to knock this on the head and replace the valve with a prosthetic one ASAP.

I am under due care form the NHS (UK) so somethings can be timely over here !!

But once again thanks for your support and i will keep you posted on any happenings.

Patrick Lee
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:48 am

User avatar We'll be looking forward to any updates. Good luck and please stay in touch.

|