News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Clots & Anticoagulants

Question: pain in back of left leg

dac0273 - Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:40 am

Hello
I have just noticed a pain in my left leg at the back of my knee joint I am a bit worried as not had it before and think it may have something to do with my veins or artery. I climbed over a fence the other day, could it be some thing to do with this? or could it be a clot or something similar there is no swelling or lumps.
thankyou would appreciate some answers ?
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:16 pm

User avatar Hi,
As you clearly indicate that the pain is at the back of the knee (and not the calf),it makes it less likely to be due to a deep venous thrombosis.

Deep vein thrombosis (DVT) sometimes occurs in the calf veins(the veins in the soleus muscle - the 'soleus venous plexus').This can present with pain and swelling in the calf.

The other condition that resembles DVT is 'cellulitis' of the lower limb (usually bacterial - 'streptococcal').Again, the pain may be diffuse and not localised to the back of the knee.

'Baker's cyst' (or popliteal cyst) is usually associated with arthritic conditions of the knee joint and can present with pain in the back of the knee.At times, it even communicates with the knee joint itself. It is known to rupture sometimes and then it may present with acute pain in the calf(resembling a DVT).

Ofcourse, the pain could have been a 'Strain' or a ''sprain'(which seems to be most likely in your case).

However, it may be wise to consult your doctor who, after examining you, would be in a bettter position to guide you.
Best wishes!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here