Forum Name: Clots & Anticoagulants

Question: pain in back of left leg

dac0273 - Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:40 am

Hello
I have just noticed a pain in my left leg at the back of my knee joint I am a bit worried as not had it before and think it may have something to do with my veins or artery. I climbed over a fence the other day, could it be some thing to do with this? or could it be a clot or something similar there is no swelling or lumps.
thankyou would appreciate some answers ?
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:16 pm

As you clearly indicate that the pain is at the back of the knee (and not the calf),it makes it less likely to be due to a deep venous thrombosis.

Deep vein thrombosis (DVT) sometimes occurs in the calf veins(the veins in the soleus muscle - the 'soleus venous plexus').This can present with pain and swelling in the calf.

The other condition that resembles DVT is 'cellulitis' of the lower limb (usually bacterial - 'streptococcal').Again, the pain may be diffuse and not localised to the back of the knee.

'Baker's cyst' (or popliteal cyst) is usually associated with arthritic conditions of the knee joint and can present with pain in the back of the knee.At times, it even communicates with the knee joint itself. It is known to rupture sometimes and then it may present with acute pain in the calf(resembling a DVT).

Ofcourse, the pain could have been a 'Strain' or a ''sprain'(which seems to be most likely in your case).

However, it may be wise to consult your doctor who, after examining you, would be in a bettter position to guide you.

|