Question: High CRP/chest pain

momhodge - Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:27 pm

I had a MI 11/08(requiring 3 stents) and am anemic needing iron infusions every 3mo. During my last set of blood test my cholestrol levels were"perfect" according to the Dr. but my CRP was at 4.76 which I understand is quite high. Yesterday I developed chest pain and went to thr E.R.. My enzymes and EKG were okay and they said it could be plurisey. My concern is it doesn't hurt all the time. If I sneeze I have no pain and only some pain during deep breathing. No pain when coughing. I understood plurisey to hurt during these times. Should I be more concerned about it pretaining to my heart?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:20 pm

User avatar Hi there -- The character of your pain is most important right now, and if you could describe it for me it would be a big help. The CRP is high -- not extremely high, but what would be marked "high" on your lab report. Generally it is (1) or lower. When it's at 10 or above it indicates an active inflammatory process somewhere in the body, and of course any elevation can be due to an active inflammation almost anywhere. It could be a chronic status or a transient one. When there is chronic inflammation anywhere there is something of an increase in risk of heart disease, although the exact significance is still somewhat controversial. The short-term issue is the pain, and that's mainly because of the prior MI.

Classic "textbook" chest pain is always a matter of concern, but in young women it is often very atypical. Your pain doesn't sound, on the face of it, much like pleurisy, though. It's good the enzymes and EKG were negative, but this only means you haven't sustained another MI. It could mean something is going on -- or not. The best thing at this point would be for you to have a thallium scan stress test, unless of course a non-cardiac cause of the pain is discovered first. Also, if the pain doesn't occur with exertion it is less likely heart-related. Still, with your history, caution is warranted.

I hope this is helpful. Good luck to you. Please follow up with us here as needed.

|