Forum Name: Hypertension

Question: pain in upper arm similar to that from a tetanus shot

chronicshamrock - Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:23 pm

hi there!
i have been browzing these forums to try and find an answer and cant find anything... not even sure if I am posting this in the correct place, but I hope I am!

Today a couple hours after waking up I developed a pain in my right upper arm... it feels like bruised, but like deep in the arm rather than just the surface if that makes sense... to be honest it feels like I have have had a tetanus jab.... it is that exact area as well.... however, i havent been bruised and havent had a shot....
the pain has got progressively worse through the day and it hurts to have my arm in some positions more than others.... i am even getting sort of throbbing pains in the area from typing...
What could this be? Is it something I should be concerned about?
I have had a very tense neck that has been in some pain for the past couple weeks... could this be related?
What should I do??
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:57 pm

User avatar Hi there -- You're in the right place if you were concerned this might have been heart-related. It's extremely unlikely to be, and here's why: First, heart pain is rarely highly localized. It can definitely appear in remote places such as where you mention, especially in women, but it doesn't localize so intently. Also, it is not aggravated by position changes, whereas neuromuscular pain usually is. If this soreness can be elicited by direct manual/digital pressure on the spot, it would be 100 per cent certainly not heart-related. As it stands we're already at about 99 per cent certain it's not. Your neck problem, however, could be related, and since you get localized throbbing pains in your arm in the affected area when typing, this begins to sound like a postural injury, muscle spasm in the neck (and perhaps thoracis outlet syndrome -- TOS -- even) due to faulty posture and/or repetitive motion at the keyboard. This is fairly classic for that, while not classic -- or even atypical -- for heart-related problems. Of course your relative youth and gender also are protective and so make heart disease far less likely right now anyway. I'd see a doctor with an eye toward a possible consult with either an orthopedist or neurologist if this continues to be a problem. Meanwhile, you might try an over-the-counter non-steroidal anti-inflammatory agent such as naproxyn (brand name Aleve), taken as directed. Also some range-of-motion exercises for the neck -- neck rotations and rolls -- may help.

Hope this is helpful to you. Good luck with this and please follow up with us here as needed.

|