News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Cardiology Symptoms

Question: MI and Anemia

momhodge - Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:08 pm

I am 38 and had a Heart Attack with no obvious symptoms or history. Since then I have been going to a Hemotologist due to severe iron def. that requires iron infusions every three mo. Could this be related to my heart attack?
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:10 am

User avatar Hi,
I do not know if you had the iron defeciency prior to the heart attack. Chronic iron is known to cause cadiomyopathy (iron defeciency cardiomyopathy).
Iron deficiency reduces the oxygen carrying capacity of the blood, thus, reducing the 'oxygen delivery'(to the tissues - including the heart).
It is likely that you have had iron deficiency for quite some time.It must be corrected as it may worsen one's prognosis during a myocardial infarction.
The pain that you are referring to(as you suspect) is not typical of pleural pain.Pain arising from the pericardium (due to pericarditis) also usually increases on deep breathing, but can also be dull and steady, resembling the chest pain in an acute MI.Also, it may increase the CRP(especially myopericarditis).Dressler syndrome(Also called postmyocardial infarction syndrome) is a very likely possibility and must be excluded.
Best wishes!
 momhodge - Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:44 pm

I have had the Iron Def. for a long time but no actual name has been applied or why. I have been trying to get the infusions since mid-October and either my veins fail or one cannot be found. The first infusion, as I said mid-Oct. and I am still severly bruised from it. I only see the nurses in the treatment room and do not know if the Doctor is aware of the diffuculty in getting any iron let alone a full treatment. Is a port something I should consider? Thank you for your previous response.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:41 am

User avatar Hi,
Thanks for the feed back. It won't be a bad idea to discuss with your hematologist about the possibility of switching over to oral iron.
Good day!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here