Question: Esophagus scare

Pam Neyland - Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:00 pm

Last night the left side of my throat esophagus tube ridges was popping in and out. I pushed on it and it felt like it popped back, so being stupid I did it a few more times. Then it felt like my body was going to shut down. I broke out in a sweat. My heart was beating hard and when I stood up it was as if I was having respriatory problems, and was not going to be able to breathe. For the next 2 hours, I was scared. It passed. Do you know of anyone who has went through that may be able to help me?
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:10 am

User avatar Dear Pam,

Most probably what you did was you were pressing on the big artery of the neck called the carotid. In this big artery in the neck, it has a plexus of nerves that when you massage it, you can have low pulse and low blood pressure. Please, try to avoid deep massages of the neck in the future. Some patients who have hypersensitive carotids, might lose consciousness when they are doing things as simple as turning their heads when they are wearing tight collars and ties or when they are shaving.

|