News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Cardiology Topics

Question: Atkins and cholesterol spikes, lipids, HDL levels.

Karen - Mon Jun 23, 2003 11:41 pm

I had a single bypass surgery done almost 2 years ago. I am overweight and really need to lose. I tried the typical cardiac diet - low fat, low cholesterol, NAS, etc. I did lose a little weight but my cholesterol was still higher than my MD wanted it to be. I was not able to take the statin drugs because it interfered with my concentration and memory (not a good thing for a nurse), and so I started the Atkins diet after doing much research on my own from studies and hearing the results of many other people. I did lose weight at first, but more exciting was that my lipids decreased dramatically and my HDL was greatly increased. I was very excited about it, but my cardiologist is not. He told my parents (who also see him) that he did not want me on the diet because in a couple years my cholesterol would shoot up very high. What I am wondering is if there are any studies or research that prove this is true, or maybe it's his own opinion because it is hard to be compliant with the diet after a long time. Thanks for any input!
 DeLWolcott - Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:43 am

Atkin's has been shown to have the possibility of spiking cholesterol of too much meat is consumed. As long as you keep the meats balanced with vegetables and fruits, your possibility of this problem with diminish.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here