Forum Name: Miscellaneous Cardiology Topics

Question: Atkins and cholesterol spikes, lipids, HDL levels.

Karen - Mon Jun 23, 2003 11:41 pm

I had a single bypass surgery done almost 2 years ago. I am overweight and really need to lose. I tried the typical cardiac diet - low fat, low cholesterol, NAS, etc. I did lose a little weight but my cholesterol was still higher than my MD wanted it to be. I was not able to take the statin drugs because it interfered with my concentration and memory (not a good thing for a nurse), and so I started the Atkins diet after doing much research on my own from studies and hearing the results of many other people. I did lose weight at first, but more exciting was that my lipids decreased dramatically and my HDL was greatly increased. I was very excited about it, but my cardiologist is not. He told my parents (who also see him) that he did not want me on the diet because in a couple years my cholesterol would shoot up very high. What I am wondering is if there are any studies or research that prove this is true, or maybe it's his own opinion because it is hard to be compliant with the diet after a long time. Thanks for any input!
 DeLWolcott - Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:43 am

Atkin's has been shown to have the possibility of spiking cholesterol of too much meat is consumed. As long as you keep the meats balanced with vegetables and fruits, your possibility of this problem with diminish.

|